Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint Besser blocks?

sleepysong
Finding My Feet

How to repaint Besser blocks?

Hi

we would like to repaint the besser/concrete blocks in our covered patio area - retaining wall of garden beds and steps leading up to garden.  

The current paint is peeling off - so what would be the best method to remove the peeling paint before repainting?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repainting besser blocks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sleepysong. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting Besser blocks.

Typically I wouldn't advise painting Besser blocks used in a retaining wall, as water will saturate the blocks from behind and force the paint off the front face through hydrostatic pressure. If the previous paint lasted a reasonable amount of time, then it would be fine to paint again. You might like to show us some images of the wall and the condition of the paint. That way, our members would be better placed to offer informed solutions. Let me know if you need assistance uploading an image.

You'll find it almost impossible to remove the paint from the surface of the textured block. I suggest you start with a paint scraper to remove any large pieces of loose paint. You could then try an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment. This would do a good job of removing the surface paint but won't necessarily touch the paint ingrained in the texture. However, the paint in the textured areas is likely relatively locked in place, and it's the loose surface paint that will more-so compromise the new coating. You could also try a high-pressure washer to see if you can blast any of the old paint off.

Remember to wear your PPE, including protective clothing, gloves, safety glasses and a dust mask to protect yourself from paint chips, dust, and debris.

I suggest trying some of these methods and letting us know how you go. We can then advise further.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

thank you for the advice - I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Please keep us updated on your project @sleepysong and reach out again if you need further assistance. I trust our members would love to see some images of your finished project when you're done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects