Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a rotting fence post?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to repair a rotting fence post?

Hi Team 

I have a 1 fence post leaning towards back intially due to strong wind and rotten. Now I check, it is leaning towards front.

Just wondering if reinforcement will help straighten the post as it is too costly to change the whole fence. At least it can last for another few more years.

1. Can someone please advise what reinforcement , and other tools should I purchase? 

2. Also should I install 1 or 2 reinforcement ? 

3. Should the reinforcement be installed at the front or 1 side or both side.

Im hoping to get it repaired before the next storm.

See attached some photos

IMG20220313145656.jpg

IMG20220313145232.jpg

IMG20220313145329.jpg

Also, note that there is another post which is still in tact , having an existing enforcement as per photo.

IMG20220313151618.jpg

Looking forward to hearing from an expert.

Many thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front fence post rotting repair

I'd suggest four screws @Thierry. You can use an adjustable spanner to tighten them or a socket set.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

As suggested, I was tightening the screw with an adjustable spanner and screw broke.

Now when I try to drill another hole, that drill bit also broke.

I think the drill bit and screw not strong enough. Will I get a refund for the broken ones?

Please advise how how to screw them now.

Thanks

Thierry

IMG20220327103554.jpg

IMG20220327104556.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry,

It appears as if you have some really solid hardwood posts there. I'm not sure why the drill bit would have broken, though, as it's designed to drill into steel. 

Did you pre-drill the holes to a depth suitable to accept the entire length of the coach screw? If the holes were not as deep as the screw, the screw likely bottomed out before being fully screwed in. It then snapped the head off as there was no more hole to screw into.

You can certainly speak with the team in-store about a refund, as it looks like this method hasn't worked out for you. If the holes were drilled to the correct depth to accept the screw, then the only thing else I could advise would be to try a 4.5mm or 5mm drill bit. The 4mm bit you were using should have been adequate for a 6mm screw. If the post is really tough hardwood, the larger drillbit could be required. Remember that we can't go too large, or the coach screw won't screw in.

If the coach screw doesn't relatively easily screw in, you need to stop and re-assess. If you forcibly screw it in, it'll snap the head off.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties exchanging your items.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

As advised, i bought the 4.5mm drill bit.. holes drilled successfully.

One head got snapped off again.. 

2 others cannot screwed further... Im hoping to keep these 2 screws only.. just scared if i screw further the head might break... I removed the screws and re drilled  a bit further..

Still not in completely

see photos..

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Thierry,

Can you confirm that the depth of the hole you are drilling is the same length or greater than the length of the screw? Two partially installed screws should do a reasonable job of securing the post.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects