Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair fence panel popping out?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to repair fence panel popping out?

Hi Team

Previously I fixed my fence post. But the fence panel is popping out.

I put a wood so it can get inside as per photo. I used roof screw and screw directly on the wood and only the first one was successful, the other attempts make it cracked. 

Do you sell a support to connect the fence? Appreciate any recommendations. 

IMG20230329183103.jpg

Thanks Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair fence panel popping out?

Hi @Thierry 

Two things have happened to your fence assembly. First, there has been movement along your fence line and has caused the fence rails to pop out. The second thing that has happened is that the fence rails have shrunk due to age and exposure. Adding more timber to the old one will not be productive as it will simply break apart.

I recommend measuring the new distance between posts and replacing both the timber rails of your fence. It will be necessary to remove the palings from the olde fence and transfer them to the new ones. 

However, if you are currently not prepared to replace the rails, I suggest looking carefully at your old fence rails and try to determine which part is still solid and which part has rotted away. You can easily tell by pinching the timber, if it gives way, bows or crumbles then this part must be cut away. If you are putting in a repair piece, just make sure that it is still solid wood and that it can take weight.

I recommend measuring the size of your fence rail and getting the same size at the store. You can join them together using a galvanised nut and bolt assembly.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your fence.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects