Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair this retaining wall?

sanchez
Finding My Feet

How to repair this retaining wall?

Hey everyone,

Side retaining wall mortar is eroding.  it's a high wall, greater than 1m. The neighbours pool is on the other side of the fence. Does it just look bad and isn't a cause for concern yet or should I get it repaired straight away, and if so how? Many thanks!

PXL_20231025_071947547.jpg

PXL_20231025_071955629.jpg

PXL_20231025_071933905.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair this retaining wall?

Good afternoon @sanchez 

Firstly Id like to offer a warm hello to the Bunnings community page :smile: I find there is a lot of information for all sorts of progects/questions within these pages.

Apart from the seperation at the top the stones seem to be still fixed together. (I have cracks that have stayed the same for years around my pool area) However having the pool on the otherside is something to factor in. I'd probarly err on the side of safety and get an engineer in to verify if its structually sound if you are that concerned. It looks like you may be on a steeply sloping block? (looking at the fence line in one of your pics) so I would be reluctant to suggest pulling it down/replacing it without more knowledge of the surrounding ground/rock situation.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome and for the information Dave!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sanchez. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about retaining wall integrity.

I agree with @Dave-1 that it would be best to have the wall assessed by a structural engineer, given the pool weight is being retained by it. That first image is a little bit concerning as it shows the entire retaining wall, or at least the facade stones, have dropped a good 90mm. Once you've got the OK from an engineer it will be a simple job to patch the gap.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects