Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a leaking downpipe?

Becstar33
Just Starting Out

How to replace a leaking downpipe?

Hi,

After some advice on replacing a leaking downpipe at my mum's house.

As per the pictures, it's rusted in a few places and is leaking a fair bit with the recent rain. I'm wanting to replace with PVC and main questions are:

1) What's the best way to remove the existing downpipe? 

2) Do I need to get on the roof to do this or can I cut out a section from below? (Most of the YouTube videos I've seen are of downpipe repairs next to a gutter, not part of a verdandah)

3) Any other advice appreciated! (Pretty much a newbie but like figuring things out and giving it a go!)

Thanks in advance,

Rebecca

20220123_155903.jpg

20220123_155912.jpg

20220123_164731.jpg

20220123_164742.jpg

  

20220123_155914.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace a leaking downpipe?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Rebecca @Becstar33. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a stormwater downpipe.

Before commencing, please ensure that regulations in your area allow you to work on stormwater drainage.

Are any leaks above the red line I've placed in the image below? The arrow indicates what appears to be a large droplet. If there are no leaks above the red line, then you'll be able to repair from below. Otherwise, you'll need to start on the roof by replacing the Icon PVC Square Downpipe Pop - For Metal Gutter and pop-riveting and sealing it to the roof/gutter.

If no leaks are coming from above the red line, then you can cut the downpipe off there with tin snips. A new COLORBOND 100 x 50mm Adjustable Downpipe Offset - Gully can be installed, or you can switch to PVC downpipe. You'll need a couple of Icon PVC 95 Degree Square Elbows and an Icon Plastics 100 x 50mm 3m Rectangular PVC Downpipe.

You'll likely find that the offset is just press-fit into the top of the downpipe, and with a tap from a mallet, it will pop out. It might be pop-riveted into the dropper outlet on the roof, though.

The simplest option might be to order a COLORBOND 100 x 50mm Adjustable Downpipe Offset in the colour of your Colorbond downpipe. It's adjustable to suit your eave width and is a direct replacement. You should get 20+ years out of it before it starts to rust again. That would be easier than trying to cut and fit the PVC downpipe, but if you're willing to give it a go, then the PVC will be available today at your local Bunnings store. 

We're here to help, so shout out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

Yes, there's leaks above the red line. I'll let you know how I go and if I run into any issues.

Cheers

Rebecca

Keep us updated, Rebecca (@Becstar33) and give us a shout if you get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects