Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to spray paint security door handle?

vfd123
Just Starting Out

How to spray paint security door handle?

Hi - I've tried to spray paint my security door handle as it doesn't match the security frame. I used epoxy stick spray first and have put on several coats of Fiddly Bits white gloss on the handles, but they are still not all white yet (they were originally black) and now they are starting to bubble. Do I need to strip it all and start again? If so, how do I ensure this doesn't happen again?  

IMG_8650.jpegIMG_8649.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: spray paint security door handle

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vfd123. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about spray paint handles.

At this stage, it likely would be best to strip the paint off or wait for it to cure and sand back the bubbled areas. The bubbles have likely occurred due to the time frame between coats. It looks like you had some runs on the handle section, so the thickness of the coating is inconsistent. I'd leave the handle for a few days and then give them a sand. Try and get the surface nice and smooth and consistent.

Instead of Fiddly bits, I'd recommend you use an epoxy enamel which is a harder-wearing paint, like White Knight 310g White Gloss Rust Guard Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint. It shouldn't really take more than four thin coats to cover black. Also, painting vertical surfaces can lead to runs if you lay on too thick of a coat, so it's best to place the handles on a flat surface for painting.

Before you go out and buy more paint, just remember that a new set of white handles would likely be a fairly low cost compared to the epoxy enamel paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects