Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof bi-fold outside doors to stop water leaking inside?

jimbarry41
Getting Established

How to waterproof bi-fold outside doors to stop water leaking inside?

Howdy folks, we just bought this place and we have some problems. Other than cutting out and replacing the silicone that's failed... what options can you suggest? My thoughts were gluing some 1.5mm thick, 150mm wide rubber insert on a 90 degree angle all the way along. I'm worried this will only last with an extremely strong glue. Here's a video of they'll let me add it. https://youtube.com/shorts/xuhPliC0Z_A?si=1O0IvXE-cNJENfUa    Thanks in advance!!

PXL_20231012_231003041.jpg

jimbarry41
Getting Established

Re: Waterproofing the bi-fold outside doors to stop water leaking inside

PXL_20231013_021124758.jpg

This was the stuff I was thinking of using...not sure if Bunnings stocks it or not?

Re: Waterproofing the bi-fold outside doors to stop water leaking inside

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jimbarry41. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing doors.

Love the video, by the way, and we're here to help. I know it's tempting to place something on top and try sealing that, but you're creating the same problem again but covering an existing one. I would recommend replacing this current silicone/polyurethane. Cut it all out with a retractable knife and try to remove as much of it as possible. You can then replace it with Sikaflex 11FC in a nice fat bead and smooth it into a cove that transitions from the concrete up onto the face of the door threshold. These silicone scrapers come in handy for creating neat coves. Alternatively, instead of creating the cove, pressing an aluminium angle over the Sikaflex might give you a neater appearance. It would be a similar application as seen in this step-by-step guide: How to waterproof a shed floor

The reason for fixing the current sealant is that anything over the top is a band-aid solution. If the leak continues, you won't know if it has to do with your new repair not working or if other issues are present. By all means, once you repair the existing sealant, you can then install a rubber strip over the top for a double layer of protection.

It appears that the concrete has been eaten away right next to the door, creating a depression where water will sit, and this isn't great. It might be worth pouring some cement in that area to level it out before performing your repair. That way, any water that lands in the area will have a chance to run back away from the door. We have a great range of concrete paints if colour matching the concrete is an issue. Personally, I'd remove the existing sealant, fill the depression with cement, sand the patched area smooth after it's dried, paint the whole concrete area, and then come back and seal the gap between the freshly painted concrete and the door with Sikaflex.

Remember your PPE, including gloves, face mask and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects