Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof veneered exterior door?

Randal
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof veneered exterior door?

I painted a door with Taubman's AllWeather exterior grade paint, 3 coats matt, as it is for a back gate. The door is hardwood with a veneer. Since we were told not to use acrylic paints on a veneer, I had asked for an oil-based, but now find the brushes washup in water. What can I seal the door with to stop the veneer from lifting?

Door.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof veneered exterior door?

Hello @Randal 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your exterior door.

It's my opinion that the Taubman's All-Weather exterior grade paint will provide enough protection for your timber veneer door with its advanced UV protection system. It's washable and dirt resistant, plus it protects against mould and mildew. I don't think an extra coat is necessary.

However, let me double check with my teammates. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Randal,

Did that information on using an oil-based coat over the veneer come from the door manufacturer? I can't say I've encountered that advice myself before. If it is one of our doors, I'd be more than happy to call the manufacturer to confirm suitable coatings. 

There is no clear coat I am aware of that's suitable for going over your paint. If this is a concern, I would advise returning to the store of purchase and discussing the issue with them. Since you asked for oil-based paint and were provided with water-based paint, I trust they'll help resolve the situation.

Mitchell

Thanks Eric for your quick reply.

It does list its qualities on the tin, and the paint itself was good. I'm just concerned about the veneer aspect, and wonder if anyone has had a problem with it lifting.

Glad to have joined the workshop!

Hi Mitchell

This is from the website. I didn't buy it from Bunnings, but note that the same door is available at several places.

'Description:
8 Panel Colonial, Solid Engineered maple timber Door. Maple Door can be painted or stained. Do not use water based paint.'

In conversation with the seller I was told that water based paint would lift the veneer eventually.

Regarding the purchase of the paint from Bunnings, the staff member was helpful in finding the paint I needed (matt, dark base ,1 litre, exterior grade) and as the Taubmans was the only one with those requirements he would have thought that it was fine. I should have checked before I left and queried the water washup, but I doubt there would have been an alternative.

Many thanks

Randal 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those requirements would certainly narrow down the options, and there might not have been an oil-based alternative, @Randal. However, if the coating directions specifically advise against using water-based and you requested oil-based paint, then this appears to be a situation that needs to be resolved. 

I'll reach out via PM for some additional details so I can put you in touch with a manager at the store.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects