Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it ok to fix Pine bearers over outer brick wall termi mesh and breather slots?

mnewby
Finding My Feet

Is it ok to fix Pine bearers over outer brick wall termi mesh and breather slots?

IMG_3256.png

Want to build a low level deck over an outdoor concrete slab. Not sure if it’s ok to fix the outer frame / bearers to the wall as they will cover part of the slots in the bricks as well as bridging the area that the termi mesh is 

IMG_3255.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it ok to fix pine bearers over outer brick wall termi mesh and breather slots

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mnewby. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

If the frame/bearers cover the weeper vents, this could restrict airflow and water drainage, potentially leading to moisture-related issues. To address this, you might explore alternative attachment methods or consider strategic positioning to minimise obstructions. In addition, you should ensure proper termite protection, as obstructing the termite mesh or creating inaccessible areas can be problematic. You may need to explore alternative termite protection methods like chemical barriers or bait stations. Keep in mind that local building codes and regulations vary, so consulting your local building department or council is essential to determine specific requirements or restrictions for attaching structures to exterior walls, especially in termite-prone areas where timber is typically required to be set back from the home. 

I'd recommend you consult with a structural engineer or building professional to ensure your modifications maintain structural integrity and compliance with local codes while addressing ventilation and drainage needs and termite protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is it ok to fix pine bearers over outer brick wall termi mesh and breather slots

Thank you

appreciate The advice 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects