Workshop
Ask a question

Is this Maple tree sick?

Sunnie
Just Starting Out

Is this Maple tree sick?

Is the maple tree sick or it's normal as we are approaching winter? Thanks!

2024-05-26T12_36_30+12_00.JPEG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Maple

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sunnie. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Maples.

Japanese maples are deciduous trees, which means they do lose their leaves in the winter. During autumn, their leaves turn vibrant colours and then drop off as the tree goes dormant for the winter. Come spring, you'll see fresh new leaves sprouting again.

Did your plant go through this cycle of the leaves changing colour, or did it look sickly previously?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sunnie
Just Starting Out

I hv not gone through the cycle with it yet. It was originally planted outside the new-built house for a less than a year and so i didn't pay not much attention to it.  Few days ago, we decided to plant it in pots and move to back yard. When I do re-potting, I assess it's condition and not sure if it is normal to look like this in winter as a deciduous plant. Although the leaves look sticky, i saw buds developing. Thx!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sunnie 

In the meantime, I suggest just observing your Japanese maple and if any other symptoms begin to show, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects