Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need some advice before re-oiling my wooden deck

RajeshKalloor
Finding My Feet

Need some advice before re-oiling my wooden deck

Hi,

I just moved into a new house and need to re-oil the spotted gum wooden deck for the first time.. part of the deck is covered and the other part is open.. I have intergrain decking oil. I had a few questions before I start.

1. Do I need to sand my deck before oiling ? If so should it be done before cleaning or after. And also what grit sandpaper should I be using.

2. Do I need to fill in the cracks before oiling. I don’t see any major cracks. But the exposed part of the deck seems to look worned out.

3. What deck cleaner can I use for cleaning the deck.

4. Should 2 coats of oil be good enough if I plan to re-oil every 12 months? 
5. In general, What is the best way to keep the deck looking clean and shiny between the oil coats. 

Looking forward to hearing from the experts

67D85B66-072A-417A-B192-D727910E88DE.jpeg

51B4722A-D9FA-4B3C-9C85-D6A0493708D9.jpeg

B2972C15-F270-4868-9337-8D4C85130CA6.jpeg

B2EA3C42-AB27-45AD-8A78-43C782C36ACF.jpeg

08D14623-B3B4-4502-AD16-FB8D38109935.jpeg

Re: Need some advice before re-oiling my wooden deck

@RajeshKalloor,

Intergrain UltraDeck Timber Oil offers fast weather resistance and can withstand light rain on the day of application. The coating won't be damaged, wash away or peel if exposed to light rain once it is 'rain ready'. Water whitening can still occur when rain falls and pools on the surface within the first week or two after application. Water whitening does not affect the integrity of the coating or its exterior durability and usually goes away once the surface dries out.

If you continue to see this marking after the deck has fully dried out over the next week, I'd suggest contacting the Intergrain experts to discuss.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects