Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting prep guidance - how to deal with peeling paint?

saras
Finding My Feet

Painting prep guidance - how to deal with peeling paint?

F87D03F3-05BD-4AF3-9363-7F18AC1309D8.jpeg

DIY painting beginner. I have peeling paint (shown in picture) and the top isn’t painted. Confused by the best way to address; I’ve found products that say scrape excess off and then paint(Cabots) to other blogs that say extensive prep is needed ie fill etc. I’m after the quickest and simplest solution that will sort it! Please provide product recommendations too please 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting prep guidence

Hi @saras,

It sounds to me that the best course of action would be the scrape off any loose paint and sand the rough sections with 120 grit sandpaper. An orbital sander would really be helpful for this. Once the area is smooth to the touch, then you can undercoat with Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L and topcoat with Dulux Weathershield. You'll get satisfactory results from this method, and filling the areas is only really needed if there is significant damage or an un-even surface. A rule of thumb is that if you can't feel roughness with your fingers, you'll likely not be able to see it after coating. 

You just need to make sure that you remove any loose or deteriorated paint to give you primer and new paint a sold surface to bind to.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects