Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replace or Paint worn decking

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Replace or Paint worn decking

Hi workshoppers, thought I'd share this.  Recently our treated pine decking had detioriated over the years, some boards had a shredded appearance and needed to be replaced.  Trouble is once one board is earmarked for replacement, then its companion also looks like a contender and before you know, a sizeable portion of the deck is destined for replacement.  The boards had been nailed down for some 25 years and the rafters were sound. We saw this decking paint which stated it could rescue old timber decks.

WornDecking.jpg

So we cut out the really bad timber boards and inserted new pine decking, replaced the nails that had 'popped up' with decking screws, pressure washed the lot, and let it dry out for a few days and then painted the lot.  The paint was really thick.  We found it easiest to apply with a brush, as this got in between the boards and the numerous cracks. The brushes were left in a bucket of water during breaks etc, and also when the brush became too thick. The water was then squeezed out of the brush so although wet it wasn't dripping, which made the paint much easier to apply. 

Below shows the first coat result.

Painteddecking1.jpg

After leaving the first coat to harden - a second coat was applied in a few days time. This was a lot easier to apply and allowed the 'missed' cracks and side parts of the boards to be painted.  The third coat was applied more or less in the style of normal painting - ie brush for the edges and roller for the main part.  The surface is quite smooth, allows the grain to show through and looks good.

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Re: Replace or Paint worn decking

Certainly looks like it has sealed the boards and will give some further life, personally I don't like painting timber I prefer the beauty of the grain and texture with stain and oil or varnish. Unfortunately, these finishes need redoing regularly and often time slips by and before you know it you have a problem.
Wood Working with Wayne
Shane
Having an Impact

Thanks for sharing. Keen to see the finished result after the third coat. What's the colour you've used?

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Wayne I agree about liking the grain and texture of the wood.  We debated this long and hard - oil, stain or paint.  We had in the past treated the wood with Timberclear with a light stain, but this had been neglected in the last few years and was overdue.  

However applying this textured paint does allow the grain to show and in adition gives the surface a very smooth finish.  I think it will last for a few years, and will need redoing in the same time span as with stain and oil. 

@Shane Here is a picture of the finished boards - with the three coats showing the new boards and the old.  For an outdoor deck with no shade, I don't think it looks too bad and it is certainly easier to walk on with bare feet.  

Finished3coats.jpg

As for the colour we were advised to go dark. This was the nearest to an olive green in the Taubman range called Woodbridge.

It has come up well, you have done a great job!
Wood Working with Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects