Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can i use to fill in the gaps?

Jmuli
Just Starting Out

What can i use to fill in the gaps?

I've finished my backyard deck but there's uneven ends towards the border... i was wondering if there's a way of either covering or filling in the gaps without it looking as ugly as it does in this photo... thanks. 

All that I could think of is cutting pieces off of the off cuts and gluing them on the ends to fill the gaps... or using sawtooth stairnose trim along it... the decking is 13m long... IMG_0369.JPGIMG_0368.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how can i use to fill in the gaps?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jmuli. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I think the best course of action would be to remove that edging board, set a circular saw to 19mm depth and trim all the boards in one cut to the same length. The trim board can then be re-installed. If the board is then not wide enough to cover the frame of the deck you could use a larger width board like the 140 x 19mm KD Select Grade Merbau Decking to frame the deck.

Personally, I can't see inserting small offcuts as being particularly aesthetically pleasing and it would take away from the amazing job you've already done.

You should find this tutorial helpful: How to lay decking. It shows how to mark a straight line and cut all the boards to the same length. 

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects