Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What garden hoses are fire proof or fire resistant?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

What garden hoses are fire proof or fire resistant?

Hi all,

With so many parts of NSW on fire, what garden hoses does Bunnings have which are fire resistant or fire proof? I didn't have much success with those search terms so I thought I'd reach out. In 2019 my Dad laid out the garden hoses in preparation to fight the fires, but sadly they all melted as the fire front howled past our house and was left to use buckets from a tank stand. I would like to invest in a good hose which is able to withstand some heat for protection.

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fire proof or fire resistant garden hoses

Hi @BoeingFan,

Will the hose be connected to a pump? If so, we have the Ozito 40mm x 36m Fire Hose Kit, or the 25mm X 20m Fire Hose Kit, which we could order for you. Relying on mains water supply alone is not a sufficient option in emergency situations.

Here's a guide from the RFS on Leaving early or preparing to stay. Note that leaving early is your safest choice. Also, you might find this guide on How to prepare for a bushfire useful.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Mate that hose info is brilliant, thank you so much.

Currently I have the Ozito 800W Constant Pressure Pump which is running my house water and 12mm x 60m garden hose. The plumber is going to install a brass garden tap from the pump so I can plug in to that until I get a fire fighting pump.

I just saw this on the Bunnings website too: Rain Harvesting 90mm The Plug 3-In-1 Fire Plug. A few people said to me, "Don't forget to block your gutters!" I had no idea what to block them with. May I ask, does this 3 in 1 come with the grey handle thing as well as that black connector, or is it just the grey handle thing? Also, am I right in thinking the 25MM X 20M FIRE HOSE KIT will connect to a standard garden tap?

Much appreciated Mitchell! Thanks,

Jason

That's a water harvester and the gate valve to plug the downpipe @BoeingFan. It all comes together. You can purchase just the gate valve portion separately. We also have these downpipe plugs.

The fire hose should connect directly to the garden tap. However, a joining fitting might be required, which we can advise on once you check it on the tap the plumber is installing.

Mitchell

Fantastic, I appreciate the clarification @MitchellMc .

Cheers,

Jason

Hi @BoeingFan I think you are asking a question that a lot of people are probably thinking about. @MitchellMc has given you some great advice here but a couple of things I would add: 

1) no hoses are really fire resistant or fire retardant. They will all burn if they are hit by fire. So always protect your fire prention system. 

2) you can't rely on water from a potable water supply if there are fires locally (ie town water supplies may fail or not be reliable) 

3) a standard garden tap (sometimes called a hose bib) is normally 20mm. For that hose - you will need an adaptor to go from 20mm to 25mm. Like the one that comes with one of these - it's the inside bit: https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-12-x-20-25mm-brass-bsp-tap-adaptor_p3130730 or one of these: Brasshards 20mm Brass Male / Female Threaded Adaptor - Bunnings Australia

4) Pumps are only good if you have water - so ensure your tank is big enough and  you have enough hose to reach all the parts of the property that you are trying to protect. 

Good luck. 

G'day @robchin ,

Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have a water tank as well as the local supply, so I keep the tank topped up from it given the lack of rain lately. I'll use this as the primary source of water for my fire hose. I'll grab a couple of those connectors and adapters you've mentioned when I'm in town next (typically a weekly trip); they're always the kind of thing to have a few of laying around just in case.

Yesterday I grabbed another 30m hose so I will have a 60m long hose when I connect it up today, and will reach all corners of my block.

@MitchellMcI'm unsure if I'm understanding exactly what a water 'harvester' does; is it just an outlet that allows a hose to be connected and 'harvests' any rainwater from the gutter through a connected hose? I could only imagine this would be beneficial during a heavy downpour? Perhaps I'm missing something, forgive me if I am.

Thanks @robchin @MitchellMc ,

Jason

That's exactly what it is @BoeingFan. You close the gate valve, and water is forced out the black connector through a hose, and you can capture it in a rainwater tank.

Mitchell

Good work @BoeingFan 

Just one final thing. 60m of hose is a lot of hose. you will lose pressure and flow through such a long hose. Also it will be heavy to use so make sure you give it a practise go first to make sure of its capabilities.  

Thanks @robchin , will do. I need a long hose as my block is half an acre.

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects