Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Windbreak choices

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Windbreak choices

timber fence_3.jpg

I am erecting a 7 meter windbreak. It is not a fence and in a rural area that faces due south from which we get hefty wind gusts.

I understand windbreaks create less turbulence when some wind is able to pass through rather than all over the top. Hence I am thinking about this design above, using 150mm plinth boards. However, my wife would like it painted, so I'm considering treated pine decking. (Bunnings have a 90 mm x 22 mm board)  which is easier to stain or paint. Consequently, it uses more boards. 

I'm wondering if the design below with space would be just as effective as the above design where wind has to feed through the gaps. I can't find any studies or research which compares these designs.

My other concern re the plinth boards is that they sag and warp over time. Timber fence_2.jpg

Grateful for any thoughts.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Windbreak choices

Those certainly look like a solid choice for windbreaks @Dave-1. I trust @raymondo appreciates you providing a suggestion.

Many thanks for sharing your solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymondo
Building a Reputation

Thanks for that. I like the idea.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @raymondo 

Thank you for your patience, the shade cloth is actually wrapped around the fence post and manually sewn tight to prevent sagging. I've placed a few pictures below to give you an idea of what it looks like. I propose visiting your store's local garden area if you wish to see how they've attached their shade cloth on their fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

fence1.jpgfence2.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects