Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

what sort of paint should I use for pallet?

McCurdies
Getting Established

what sort of paint should I use for pallet?

Hi, my husband made me a privacy screen for our patio by using pallets and im going to plant succulents in the pots to hang on the screen and other side i will put herbs to grow in it, i want to paint the pallet in light black / greyish colour to made the plants more stand out. What sort of paint do you recommend that suitable for pallets and outside weather etc 

Thanks

Tabatha

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: what sort of paint should I use for pallet?

Sounds like a great project @McCurdies. I'm sure the Workshop community will be happy to recommend some paint for you.

Are you planning to use a paintbrush, roller or a paint gun? I used Dulux Rapidfinish with a spray gun to paint my backyard fence and was really happy with the results. Check out this discussion - Fence makeover.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join the community. I'm sure you will find lots of great information, advice and inspiration here. And I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Simon
Having an Impact

Hey @McCurdies, you can use any exterior range of paint for this. Waterbased/acrylics would be the way to go; much easier to apply, faster drying time, no smell, etc.

Every paint brand provides a range of exterior paints in price and quality - personally if I was doing this, an entry level exterior paint will be fine.

Make sure the timber on the pallets is clean and dry before you paint, and depending on the look you're after, 1 to 2 coats should be fine. No undercoat or primer would be required.

Also, I'd use a 10cm-12cm wide roller for the most part, and maybe have a little brush handy for any hard to reach places.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I trust Simon's advice was useful @McCurdies.

It would be great to see some photos of what you have done. 

Let me know if you need a hand uploading them.

Jason

McCurdies
Getting Established

Thank you so much Simon, I will have a look at Bunnings this weekend :smile: 

McCurdies
Getting Established

Sure I will do that once we finish the project! I cant wait! :smile:

McCurdies
Getting Established

Thank you so much Jason and Im still learning so much and already feel welcomed in this group :smile:

Many thanks for the feedback @McCurdies. There's always plenty to learn. Fortunately there are many generous, knowledgeable and experienced community members happy to share. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tabatha (@McCurdies)

Hope all is well.

How did you go with painting the pallet?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects