Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Advice needed for mesh screening for sliding door

isa
Growing in Experience

Advice needed for mesh screening for sliding door

So I have a sliding door, and a security front door, as well as a security laundry door that has holes in its mesh. I am looking to re-mesh all three.

I have initially re-meshed the sliding door once, with aluminium mesh. Apparently I needed to pre-groove the mesh before placing (in my case, forcing) the rubber spline in. I kind of stuffed it up, now know better and wish to redo it, alongside the other doors. Let us just say that I now know what the narrow edge on the other end of the spline roller is for.

Here is the thing though… I wish to use both aluminium mesh for strength, and fibreglass mesh to help against those really small insects getting through. I wonder though, if I am able to that is, will I then be able to successfully get the spline fitted in without too much trouble?

Thank you all for reading through my query.

Please feel free to add your 10¢ worth in. I look forward to your advice.

Regards,

Isa

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice needed for mesh screening for sliding door

Hi @isa,

Installing screen mesh can be a bit tricky. I suggest not stretching the screen mesh taught prior to inserting the spline as it can over-tension the screen and split it. The action of pushing the spline into the channel is what pulls the mesh taught. Also, make sure you're using the correct sized spline for the job. Typically fibreglass mesh uses the 6mm whereas aluminium uses the 4.5 or 5mm.

I'd suggest that you might struggle to install two meshes in one frame, but if you're going to attempt it, I recommend going with the 4.5mm spline.

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but here's a helpful guide on How to replace a flyscreen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
isa
Growing in Experience

Re: Advice needed for mesh screening for sliding door

Aha @MitchellMc! We meet again! 🙌 Hello once more, and thank you for your advice. It truly is very much appreciated when experts chime in and give sound advice. I am now off to that link you kindly shared.

Thank you Mitch 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects