Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Automation devices feedback

ishcar
Getting Established

Automation devices feedback

I noticed that Bunnings for the last few years has gotten together much of their automation devices in one spot.
While many of these items are good with putting together a vender driven solution.  I've noticed that Bunnings not encouraging/compelling vendors to enable open systems whereby the vendor devices are not locked into only their own platform.

As our society pivots towards lower waste, more environmental responsibility, so too must we as consumers and in turn, retailers take steps to consider how long what we buy will last before it is obsolete and no longer supported which subsequently drives these items which were perfectly good but now need to go to landfill.

My question are...
1) Can we get Bunnings to have an automation expert to assist customers with what the various automation devices can do, what their limitations are and what other solutions could be beneficial in purchases.
2) Can Bunnings introduce an "open systems" sticker to indicate what automation devices are supported outside of the vendor's platforms and in particular open platforms such as Home Assistant and OpenHAB etc.
3) Pressure vendors to ensure that their devices are not open to cyber attacks.  Many of the unsecured devices open the door to infecting computers and other devices on the customer's network/s.  This could have immense liability issues up the supply chain esp with due diligence.
4) Can Bunnings build better automation displays?  The current ones only display products, but don't sell the sizzle! and certainly aren't realistic in actively demonstrating a solution (outside of install a camera system and see who is at the front door).
A demo display that not only teaches customers what to do but also how to use them.  Incorporating a QR Code to deliver a short video's on each component regarding how to install that product and integrate it to the customer's network/system would help.  Don't rely on the vendor to do all the work, The vendor wants to move more of their product, Bunnings wants to help customers to find the solution they need which in turn drives customers to come back again and again - its about repeat and continued customer engagement in which open systems best facilitates.

I know these are difficult questions, but I'm reaching out because of a long history of Bunning's team members who have either no or inferior training in this product area and no real solutions other than these are the products we have read the boxes on what they can do.
5) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Automation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ishcar. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your questions about home automation.

There are some fantastic points you've raised, so thanks for starting the conversation.

Our in-store team is actively kept up-to-date from our suppliers on their products and regularly receives training in home automation systems. Next time you're in-store, ask for the electrical expert or speak to a manager, and they'll make sure the in-store home automation expert is available to answer any questions you might have on our products. 

An "Open Systems" sticker sounds like an excellent idea, and I'll pass it on to our team. That would be really handy to know when deciding on what products to purchase, and I'd agree it can be challenging to work out from just the basic information on packaging.

Our vendors take cyber security extremely seriously when it comes to accessing home networks. If there are any specific products or interfaces you're referencing or issues you have experienced, please let me know, and I'll pass these details onto our suppliers/team to investigate.

What home automation displays have you seen? Depending on the size of the store you have visited, you'll see different units used. Apart from the stock displays, we also utilise mobile units that demonstrate the products' uses. Given the vast amount of products on offer, I'm sure you can imagine the feasibility issues involved with actively displaying the entire range and its usability. QR codes linked to videos are a great way to provide that extra information a customer might need. I do agree that a hands-on approach is the way to go. When they are back on the agenda, what could suit is a D.I.Y. class on home automation. Something that takes customers through our whole range and their features, including how they can be integrated into our homes. 

I think one of the significant issues when it comes to encouraging vendors to enable open systems is that someone needs to create these systems which are tailored to their devices. We couldn't expect an irrigation company to build a system that operates light globes and vice versa. These products could be operated on open systems, but then you'd be limiting their functionality dramatically. Products operated on their own platform can have far more functions than simply supporting IFTTT. Open system compatibility should be the industry standard for basic products with on/off switches.

You've raised some crucial points, and I'm excited to go back to our team with them. Hopefully, we will see as much growth in this sector in the next ten years as in the past decade.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects