Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

n860cr
Growing in Experience

DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

I'm looking to pickup up a whole lot of these DETA smart switches (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-smart-switch-mechanism_p0346912) as they don't need a neutral wire (and the old part of my house doesn't have one). The hallway has a 3 way switch (one switch at either end) and I'm looking to see if anyone knows if these switches are compatible? I know other Grid Connect switches don't support 3 way switching. 

The flickering issue is real and annoying.... however I've gotten around it by using one Grid Connect candle globe in the 5 globe chandelier. The WIFI component of the globe must be enough to stop the LED flicker. 

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Re: DETA Smart Switch Mechanism for 3 way switch?

image.jpg

literally just one of those at each end. 

it does seem they’re probably not three way comparable. Automation could do it… there would need to be a way to power just one switch without it actually operating a circuit (it you can press the button to trigger a scene but the actual switch does nothing). Could then just rewire one end of the hall to operate as a regular switch and then use the other to trigger scene “switch a on/off”

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @n860cr 

Your electrician could use the existing wires give each switch the required active and continue the switch wire wire through to each position, because they do not require a neutral these would be ideal for this and then it comes down to automation. 

If wifi goes down it is possible to switch via switch 1 and switch 2 or switch 1 and switch 3 if switch 2 is on position or switch 2 and switch 3 if switch 1 is on position. So you would have 2 way switch only with wifi off due to the fact you don't have an intermediate.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

I'm sorry @n860cr this makes me cringe HPM switch mechs used on Clipsal or Deta face plates they nothing wrong with it besides the edges catch a bit but it just looks wrong for this OCD sparky 😉

Screenshot_20220728-080809_Chrome.jpg

n860cr
Growing in Experience

Thanks. If they only need an active then yes that’s a good plan. Automation would be fine. The second switch isn’t super critical so for the few times the WiFi is down I can drag myself to the other end of the hallway. 

And yes, I know. It was a temporary replacement when it broke! 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

How did you go with this @n860cr ? I have a 3 gang smart switch now so if you need any help with the 3 way automation sing out and I'll see what I can do.

If you have it running do you mind posting the automation chain up so I can copy it across into the tips and tricks thread.

Carl

n860cr
Growing in Experience

No luck unfortunately. Electrician spent a fair bit of time playing with combinations but there was no way to keep the switch powered. The two didn’t play ball with each other (as expected), however he couldn’t make the “WiFi only” switch stay powered. 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Bugger that's a shame, it's hard for me to replicate that without having the exact switches, I can replicate the automations but that's no good if the switches don't work in the first place.

But he is probably on the ball now I think again, you have your feed one end on the 3 way, your intermediate in the middle and the switching the other end you can get constant feed on the feed end, but to get constant feed to the other 2 you would have to carry the power as a constant all the way through meaning only the last switch would be a static switch and the switch 1 and 2 would be wifi. If your going to that trouble leave the switches as standard and put 2 motion  detectors in each end, and Smart bulbs and leave the switches on. 

Fantastic little motion sensors.

Screenshot_20220809-155955_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

That is indeed a shame, I was hoping that the smart powered 3-way switch would solve the problem. Hopefully, the smart motion sensor will sort out the automation issue.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @EricL it would with constant power to all switches, I'd love to get hold of some to work through these issues.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Just a note on terms here,

Down under, we call lighting circuits either 1 way (for a single switch point), 2 way for say opposite ends of a hallway, after that it is called 2 way + Intermediate, you can have any number of Intermediate switches between the start and end switches, but you wouldn't call it 5 way switching if you had 2 way switching and 3 Intermediates.

Americans call our 2-way switching 3-way switching, which it isn't, because either switch is only on or off.

Depending on how the wiring is configured, and there a LOT of ways to effect the same thing, the Intermediate switch ALWAYS swaps over the two strap or traveller wires between the two end switches.

The Intermediate switch itself is known in the trade as a Double pole Changeover switch.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects