Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Food-grade woods for baby toys

agnieszka
Just Starting Out

Food-grade woods for baby toys

Hi,

Starting my woodworking journey hoping to build small/simple projects, e.g. baby toys and cutting boards.

I have conducted some internet searches on suitable woods, and these are often listed as: maple, walnut, birch, ash. However I suspect these lists are targeted at American woodworkers as I cannot find where to buy these woods in NSW (I'm on Central Coast). I know other woods can be sealed, but babies are 'mouthy' and might chew through to the timber beneath.

What suitable hardwoods are available locally, and where can I source/buy these? Recall I am a beginning woodworker, so I do not have jointer, thicknesser, nor do I know how to joint and thickness raw sawn wood using hand tools or basic power tools. I think the term I'm looking for is that I would need "dressed" timber?

....or, am I seriously overthinking this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Agnieszka.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Food-grade woods for baby toys

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @agnieszka. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about selecting timber for baby toys.

It's great to hear you're embarking on the journey into woodworking. We have plenty of skilled and knowledgeable members, so you've come to the right place.

Typically, you'll find most baby toys are made from non-treated Pine. It's lightweight, easy to work with, reasonably robust and non-poisonous. We have a wide selection of DAR (dressed) Pine

For your chopping boards, you might like to look at DAR hardwood. You'll need to consider how you'll cut up and join this DAR timber to create your chopping board, as you won't find sizes large enough to construct it from one piece. If you're not yet ready to invest in a biscuit joiner, you can make do with a dowelling jig and fluted dowels.

Tasmanian Oak would be a suitable hardwood timber that is readily available. You could use four lengths of  Porta 30 x 30mm 1.2m DAR Tasmanian Oak Standard & Better and cut each piece into three equal lengths of slightly less than 400mm. This will vary depending on the thickness of your blade and how much timber it removes from the equation. You'd then use the doweling jig to place a few holes in either side of the section, add PVA glue, insert the dowels and clamp the sections together. I've created a rendering below to illustrate. I've created a few renderings to outline the basic idea. You can fancy the board up by routing the edges.

It's essential that you seal your toys or chopping boards with a food-safe product

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Chop2.pngChop3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Holy moly! That's some great info Mitchell! Thank you!

What is the program you used to mock up the project? Is it downloadable for customers/DIYers?

No problems, @agnieszka. Happy to help.

The program is called Tinkercad and is very easy to learn compared to other 3D rendering software.

Keep us updated on your projects, and please reach out if you get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects