Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home security video on a budget

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Home security video on a budget

Hi everyone, 

For some time now, we have wanted to install some home video surveillance around our home. I wanted to share my experience with the community after doing some research. There is a ton of information online regarding security cameras and what they can offer. There are professional systems with back to base monitoring, DIY wireless and wired models which anyone can install. 

For myself, the main criteria were:

1. Ease of DIY installation and maintenance
  2. Latest camera technology
  3. It had to be budget-friendly, under $250 to cover most the whole house

We decided to go with WYZE as they had everything I wanted. To cover most of our home, I got a total of three cameras, two wired WYZE Cam 3 (latest model) and the Wireless Outdoor Camera with the base station. 

My other reason is that you don't need to take up a plan to use the cameras as recordings are uploaded onto a cloud server and kept for 14 days. I did take up a 12-month plan, but it was very affordable compared to the other systems. The app is fantastic and everyone in the family can access the cameras. There are always pros and cons, and having used the system for several months, we are thrilled with the results. It is very easy to install these cameras and it will take you about 1-2 hours. 

Wired Installation

• Mark out the position of your camera holder
  • Drill holes and use a green wall plug
  • Fix in the holder with screws
  • Run the USB power cord to a power outlet; we had an outdoor power switch, which made it very easy
  • Sync the camera to the app and attach the camera to the holder

Wireless installation

These units don't need a wired power source, and the rechargeable battery will last for about two months on a single charge. They are great units when you don't have an external power supply. All you need is to fix the holder to a wall using the same steps describe or even to branch on a tree. 

WYZE Cam3 with outdoor mount kitWYZE Cam3 with outdoor mount kitMark out the positionMark out the positionDrill holes using a masonry drill bitDrill holes using a masonry drill bitPush in the green plugs and trimPush in the green plugs and trimMount camera and attach to power outletMount camera and attach to power outletOutdoor wireless CamOutdoor wireless CamJust mount, no wired power requiredJust mount, no wired power requiredDaylight imageDaylight imageNight Vision onNight Vision onNight Vision offNight Vision off

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Home security video on a budget

A good review of the Eufy 2c and Home Kit

https://youtu.be/N75ItrtWYXo

And straight review on the the 2c package.

https://youtu.be/aAfEtlhWcrY

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

RenoRach1

:smile: I am of fto check out the cameras, my only issue with any security system was saving the video to the cloud and either paying a fee or loosing it. Saving it locally is something I have been searching for a long while.

Dave

Hi @Dave-1

All the best! Last week, the EUFY systems were on sale in Bunnings Newstead (my local) - hope you can get a similar deal.

Cheers,

Rach

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Looks really good @RenoRach1, the images are very sharp, especially the night vision. Also, you have a wonderful front porch. 

Thank you, @Nham, for your kind words - greatly appreciated. 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects