Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i install aluminium flyscreen without it splitting when i roll the spline in?

brendan23
Finding My Feet

How do i install aluminium flyscreen without it splitting when i roll the spline in?

Hi, when I roll my “what was pretty expensive” aluminium flyscreen into the channel, as I push in the spline the flyscreen splits. I’ve tried gentle, hard etc. any ideas? Thank you so much 

Re: how do i install aluminium flyscreen without it splitting when i roll the spline in? any help...

Hi @robertskene,

I've had a chat with the Cyclone tech assistance, and we are both in agreement that a 3mm channel is relatively small. We're unsure why the screen would be splitting whilst gently forming it into the frame, but I'd be happy to facilitate a return on the product for you, as it didn't appear to be fit for your purpose.

Just so you are aware, Cyclone aluminium door meshes have not been tested for compliance on doors that enter into pool areas. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how do i install aluminium flyscreen without it splitting when i roll the spline in? any help...

Thanks Michell for following up on this with Cyclone.

Not sure how I return the product with the current Covid restrictions.

Best regards,

Robert

Hi Robert (@robertskene),

If you are not currently able to attend a store due to restrictions, we might need to wait until those ease. Just make sure to keep hold of your proof of purchase and I'll assist whenever it's convenient.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell.

I was searching for some 3mm spline to use on my screen door, but could not see 3mm stocked. Do you have 3mm?

Also came across Cyclone Foam Spline, which is said to be more flexible and easier to use, and particularly suitable for Al wire screen.

Have you ever used this and is it more flexible?

Do Bunnings stock 3mm foam spline (I see Bunnings has Cyclone in larger sizes).

Thanks,

Robert

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @robertskene

I will have to give our provider a call about the spline sizes available. I'm only aware of the 4.5 mm-sized splines. I will also have to ask about the foam splines as well. As soon as I have more information, I will get back to you. Have you thought about using the old spline? You mentioned earlier in your post that it was still in working order. One way to check is to press the spline and see if bounces back. If it crumbles or does not return to its original shape, it's time to replace it.

Eric

Hi Eric,

The old spline is in tact but has hardened over time.

Cheers,

Robert

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i install aluminium flyscreen without it splitting when i roll the spline in?

Hi @robertskene,

The thinnest spline we stock or that is available to us is the 4.5mm from Rolltrak. The thinnest foam spline in a reasonable length from Cyclone is 5.7mm.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi,

I’ve had exactly the same issue of the spline splitting the screen. We replaced the 6mm spline to a 4.5mm spline and also attempted to use old spline but It just keeps splitting. Extremely frustrating, I’ve watched a couple of YouTube tutorials, including the ones you suggested previously. These have been of no help. 
PLEASE HELP! 
thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @melmozz. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on flyscreen installation.

We've gone over most of the issues pretty thoroughly in this discussion. The number one reason I've come across for any screen splitting during installation is that instinctively most people pull the screen nice and tight to get rid of any distortions before inserting the spline. This causes the screen to be over-tightened and tear because it's already taught before being pushed down into the channel. The screen must be slightly loose before installing the spline. I've done this myself before becoming aware of my incorrect technique.

If you're still having issues, you might like to contact Cyclone to discuss further, or I'd also be more than happy to organise a refund on the product in case it is faulty.

Mitchell

Thank you, if you could please arrange a refund, that would be great.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects