Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a clothesline to the fence?

shary
Getting Established

How to attach a clothesline to the fence?

9CACC0F1-1091-4497-8FCF-E2BFC946726A.jpeg

73EE89E2-7EE9-4A4F-A3BC-1076368A478C.jpeg

I want to fix clothes line bracket to the fence, unfortunately the separation between the two brackets is not sufficient to sit on the posts, one of the bracket lower part is sitting on the sheet. Is there any solution to this. Something i can glue to sheet and drill the screws of bracket in that material, without actually disturbing the surface of sheet. Please see the photos 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bracket Screws in Fence Sheet

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shary. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a clothesline.

You'll need to use a post-mount kit which could be a bit difficult to install close to a fence, or you could screw some type of bridging board between the two existing posts. You need a solid mount connection, so fixing into the panel, even with a spacer, wouldn't be recommended. With a heavy load of washing, the bracket will push the fence out on the other side of the fence.

What clothesline are you installing? Perhaps there is some other accessory that could be used.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shary
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, 

It is 2.2m x 1.2m fold down clothes line from ALDI. With no posts of its own.
Will this be okay if i glue pieces of wood on fence sheet, with liquid nail where the brackets are sitting and than fix the brackets with screws in the wooden piece.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I can't imagine glued pieces of timber being an adequate mounting point for your clothesline @shary. The top rail of your Colorbond fence is also not an adequate location to fix onto, as it's just a pressed metal capping that could twist with the additional weight. You must attach it directly onto posts or some solid bridging piece between them. Ideally, these types of clotheslines should be fixed onto a solid wall.

Are there any other locations or available walls that you could use?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

How did you get on @shary ?

Would a wooden frame work? Attach it to the fence (top) and anchor at the bottom with some concrete and then mount your brackets to the wood.

Scan1134.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects