Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fit out a camper van on a budget?

hotsprit
Just Starting Out

How to fit out a camper van on a budget?

Hi I couldn't actually see what I needed in the category section but I'm looking at fitting out a Hyundai iLoad van as a camper van and I'm wondering whether anyone has any ideas about this

I've just spent a lot on the van itself so I would like to fit it out as cheaply as possible

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to fit out a camper van on a budget

Hi @hotsprit 

Your  project sounds great.  I think the  best plan is to  research and look at many other camper examples and make a collection of ideas.  This  will lead you on to what materials to use and the tools  and fixings you need.  At this  point you can explore alternate lower cost materials if you wish.

When you know  your planned inclustions you wish to  have you may also   find  components and appliances on sale if you  have a  list.

Start  your plan with insulating ideas as it will be important to plan ASAP into your  design.

If your  handy  I might make the cupboards  and framing out of pine as it is  realitvly light weight yet strong enough and flexable material for starters.Easy to fix to and clad.

Divide  your project up into bite size chunks so the whole  project dosnt over welm you with a 1000 option all at  once.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fit out a camper van on a budget?

Hello @hotsprit 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fitting a camper van on a budget.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend thinking about the basics you want available in your van. 

• Cooking facilities and equipment.

• Storage of clothing and tools

• Extra independent power for your devices.

One of the most basic layouts is to have the bed off the van floor with a timber frame and the space underneath will serve as the storage space. This would be the most budget friendly as you can use the Montgomery 34L Clear Underbed Storage Container - 34L as a storage container and line them up underneath.

However, if you are after a more complex layout, I suggest drawing your ideas on paper. You can then quantify what materials you'll need.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects