Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sound proof & insulate my Renault Van and what is the best insulation to use?

JTR
Finding My Feet

How to sound proof & insulate my Renault Van and what is the best insulation to use?

How to sound proof & insulate my Renault Van and what is the best insulation to use? It's a high roof, MWB van. I'm starting with the shell to do a full reno. I have my electrician and cabinet maker lined up also.

All advice is welcome.

Thanks, Jimmy

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to sound proof & insulate my Renault Van and what is the best insulation to use?

Hi @JTR,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It is awesome you have joined and thank you for your question about getting your Renault Van reno ready. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online this afternoon to assist but let me tag some of our knowledgeable caravan makeover members @twocutekelpies@sandy_d, and @woodenwookie to check what suggestions they would give.

In the meantime, check out how Workshop member @Peggers transformed their caravan in their 3-part series How to renovate a caravan - Part 1. There may be some great tips and insights that you can use for your van. 

We would love to see your reno journey, please keep us updated with your progress. If you come across any other questions, please feel free to ask, we are here to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sound proof & insulate my Renault Van and what is the best insulation to use?

Hello @JTR 

I propose installing a low-profile timber frame on the van wall in order to put in standard Earthwool R2.5 90 x 430 x 1160mm 7.0m² HD Insulation SoundShield Wall Batt. This will provide both insulation and sound proofing, thereby saving you from having to install two separate products. Once you've installed the batts you then cover the frame with a thin sheet of plywood.

To reduce the sound on your van floor, I recommend putting in plywood and then covering it with carpet. This will reduce the ambient noise coming in from that section of the van. 

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JTR
Finding My Feet

Hi Katie,

Thanks to you for your warm welcome.

Also thanks very much to Eric for his great advice. It's a daunting tast to renovate a van from scratch when it's your first go at it. I will keep you posted on my progress with photos etc.

Much appreciate the advice and help.

Kind regards,

Jim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, Jim (@JTR), and please reach out again if you need further assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

woodenwookie
Making a Splash

I was going to use 10mm polystyrene boards that Bunnings sells. I ended up not finishing the caravan because it was too much of a project for the time I had.

I was going this route because batts would have been too thick for the 3mm ply I was using for covering.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects