Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix flaking paint on window frames?

Christine61
Growing in Experience

How to fix flaking paint on window frames?

73838961-93BB-4CD6-B023-6CF3EAD1D6CA.jpeg

  

3C65283D-A8E6-4B46-943E-2C9E9FDCC1A6.jpeg

6641D1BA-BA64-4699-BCE3-0D6F641F4862.jpeg

I suspect when my verandahs were closed in in the 40s (to accomodate 6 children in a 4 room cottage) that damp proofing wasn’t a high priority. The paint has lifted as shown and I wondered if this product, designed for concrete/masonry would work on wood? I last painted them 20 years ago (with a turps paint, properly sanded and undercoated) and it wasn’t a job I want to be repeating too often - 10 double hung windows. Also what paint would people recommend please and any other solutions to the damp problem. 
thanks in advance. 

AE60F654-43D1-40E2-B9B2-7094935904FA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help with paint lifting from windows

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Christine61. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting window frames.

I can see that the original paint wasn't entirely removed. What's likely happened over the years is that the underlying paint has continued to deteriorate, and that's caused your top coat to crack and flake away. Notice how you can see the underlying timber on the chipped sections? I suspect your newer paint bonded well to the old due to your prep work, but it's now the old paint that's let go of the timber.  However, 20 years is a decent amount of time, and unfortunately, it might just be time to repaint.

So, you have a couple of options. Prepare the surface as you did before scraping and sanding back the deteriorated areas until you reach paint that is well adhered, prime and then recoat. You'll likely get another 20 years with this method. Or, sand areas back to bare timber, prime and paint. With this method you'll likely get more than 20 years out of the paint job. It's that underlying paint layer that is going to determine how long you get before it deteriorates more.

I would not suggest you use the Damp Stop product, as it's not designed for that purpose. I am also not entirely convinced that dampness is the issue here. It could be contributing, though my money is on the original paint failing and flaking, which it will continue to do. If you want to use a product that blocks dampness, I'd recommend using Crommelin 1L Flat Aquablock Waterproof Primer Undercoat, which is more designed for this work. You can then topcoat it with Aquanamel, so you are only working with water-based paints and not turps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Christine61 

Good  paint job done  20  years ago it lasted well sadly painting is a normal house maintenance.  My painter across the road  touches up his  modern paint every ten years,  I am  not that keen to be honest.  The facts are  modern paints have come forward in leaps and bounds so hopefully the next time it is needed  is 40 years

Do you really think you have a damp problem that high up.? Dose area smell damp is usually a sign to backup visual clues and rising damp is   from the ground.  @Christine61  I think you have old  paint failed at the end of its life span many  hard wood outer windows looks like yours and it isnt a moister issue as the paint below  and about it still hanging on.

I dont think you need a (damp stop Coating ) just a good under coat  i recommend for  possible challenging areas. Smaller tins avaliable.

Zinsser 3.78L Bulls Eye Primer Undercoat Sealer And Stain Blocker I/N: 1570000 $94

Or for high humidity conditions

Zinsser 3.78L White Extreme Adhesion Primer  I/N: 0214556 $89

• Superior adhesion and hardness
  • Water based primer. Accepts all topcoats
  • Low odour and fast curing
  • Interior and exterior use
Zinsser Extreme Adhesion Primer is a fast drying, water-based primer. It provides excellent adhesion on the toughest to paint surfaces such as glass, tile, porcelain, fibreglass, aluminium, glossy furniture, cabinets, trim and more. Even in high humidity conditions, Extreme Adhesion Primer is guaranteed to bond.

I might be tempted to only repaint  the damaged  areas but scraping back to wood is a must to give the new undercoat the best bonding.

hope this helps.

Hi Mitchell, Thank you for your well considered response. I’ll look into the products mentioned. I’d thought damp because the bottom areas, as shown, are the only bits lifting but I guess that could be condensation too?  

On the plus side I don’t mind painting (hate prep but will suffer) and if I redo the whole set in aqua enamel it will be easy to touch up if necessary. 

0F247DA8-1413-4DF4-AF30-D6FB6BC89AC8.jpeg

Water from condensation sitting on the paint surface won't help the cause @Christine61. I re-painted some sills less than five years ago in our bedroom, and with up to four people sleeping in there during winter (when the kids decide it's their room, too), the condensation pools at the bottom of the glass. I recently noticed that the paint has blistered and is starting to flake away.

Mitchell

Thank you @Jewelleryrescue for your input. Damp/moisture/condensation was the only reason I could think of for it to fail along the sill and nowhere else but maybe it was just the paint underneath. It’s an old house with weird and wonderful ‘renovations’ done in times when there seemed few regulations. I’ll definitely be sanding back to wood (which is quite solid and no damp smell) and as I’m in my 60s now, 40 years sounds fantastic!
I’ve been tempted to just touch up where necessary too but, while still sound, the rest of the paint has yellowed unevenly as solvent paints do so colour matching would be an issue. 
I’ve used other Zinsser products in the past and know them to be reliable. 
Might still waterproof just in case though … 
Thank you again. It’s much appreciated. 

How frustrating for you! Do you think the paints you have suggested would still be effective if it’s condensation? (Sorry original owners for maligning your workmanship - even if some is still dodgy) 

I’ve got lots of time to think as I do other jobs first but it’s one I don’t want to need to to fix up. 
Meanwhile, take joy in your lovely children joining you. They grow up very quickly. 

The Aquanamel is moisture resistant and the higher the gloss level, the better @Christine61. I was just pointing out an extreme case where condensation can deteriorate paint quite quickly. In my case, it was pooling on the paint, and the water likely found its way under it and blew the paint off.

Don't worry, I thoroughly enjoy our children sharing our bed as they grow up WAY too quickly.

Mitchell 

iveg
Building a Reputation

Hi Christine61,

Good advice from Mitch as always. If these are old window frames they usually put putty in the framing of the windows  from the outside. If so check if the putty has detoriated, remove and replace with new putty, as this would also be the cause of damp. Before paint remove all old paint internally and externally and let dry out completely before applying the product Mitch mentioned. Good luck and happy renovating.

Christine61
Growing in Experience

Thank you, iveg. The putty had deteriorated and was replaced 5 years or so ago when the outside of the house was painted. However as it’s been a worsening problem for a longer that may have been a contributing factor. 

This project is on the back burner while I tackle another room. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects