Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix holes in floor before laying laminate?

JasonH
Just Starting Out

How to fix holes in floor before laying laminate?

IMG_2085.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpeg

Hi I have lifted the tiles of the floor in the house and will lay a laminate flooring, what do I need to use to fill the holes in the floor that got chipped out when getting the glue off the floor see photos Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix holes in floor before laying laminate?

Hello @JasonH 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your flooring.

I can only think of two ways to possibly repair this type of damage. First is to use a Self-Levelling Compound to go over your entire flooring to cover up all the depressions made in the floor. The second is to cover your flooring with 3mm plywood or something similar. 

Using timber sheets would be the faster repair option, just keep in mind that the panel must be securely anchored to the concrete floor so there will be no chance for it to lift or buckle should moisture get into it.

Let me call on our experienced members @JacobZ95, @homeinmelbourne and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: How to fix holes in floor before laying laminate?

Hi @JasonH I don't think there is a requirement to lay anything on the floor as an underlay as the 100's of small chips are more cosmetic as as long as the surface is clean and flat as possible. And laying anything down as an underlay will left your overall floor height and will cause issues when meeting other rooms. But I would fill those larger holes as @EricL suggested with a self-levelling compound. I would use a large measuring jug and just fill the larger ones as it's very expensive. Just be careful to not overfill them which will cause lumps. in the surface. Alternatively a masonry caulk could be used. Just apply into the larger holes and then scrape the top level with a wide spatula. Use a long straight edge to check for any high/low points and remaining bits of grit as these will cause issues with the flooring joins etc.

Mailbag.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects