Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to maximise storage in a rental?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How to maximise storage in a rental?

Carol's free-standing cube storage.jpg

Everyone loves more storage in their home, but renters face unique challenges because of limitations on what they can modify or install. 

Anyone has any ideas for non-permanent and easy-to-remove solutions that won't jeopardise security bonds? 

One solution that I personally love are these Flexi Storage Clever Cubes which @Carol_Prime used in her spare room (read more in 10 ways to improve your rental home). 

Would be great to hear any other ideas from our members. Tagging @prettyliving, @Former Workshop member and @Tyro to kickstart the discussion. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to maximise storage in a rental?

Hi @Akanksha 

I'm glad you tagged me re the Flexi cube products. 👏

I bought 4 packs of the cubes for some rather urgently needed book space.  I was so very disappointed by the quality though:  the chipboard used is so poorly packed it doesn't  take much for it to flake away in my fingers;  the shelf thickness is missing from the product info, so I sent an email to the manufacturer.  The reality proved to be  thinner than what the manufacturer's  reply stated, and too thin to bear the weight of my  hard-cover books;  the holes for the plugs are inconsistent and several were so deep they swallowed the entire plug;  contrary to this, I discovered some weren't deep enough as they punched right through to the other side of the board!  And what got to me even more is that I don't have a car so have the additional expense of returning them to the store.  So I will definitely stay right away from this brand!  I was surprised when I learned it was a Visy product.  But perhaps they contracted the manufacturing out? 

I ended up getting 2 sheets of 17mm plywood and will make 4 bookcases.  The cost of the ply, Weldbond glue, battens and nails is less than the Flexi-cubes!  And will definitely be more durable!  These cubes are Flexi in more than just the name!  

20230627_140326.jpg

20230626_193635.jpg

20230626_192419.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @Tyro,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this experience with the Flexi Storage cubes.

Thank you for providing those details and photos. I will forward that feedback to our merch team so they're aware of this issue. @EricL will also be reaching out to you separately to provide further assistance.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Akanksha 

These things happen.  I realise space is precious at the stores, though it would save a lot of customer angst if the cabinets were displayed at ground level (certainly a better level of supplier transparency would be transmitted to the consumer).

I still love my Bunnings store though ... the staff there are amazing!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects