Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a door?

Aj07
Finding My Feet

How to paint a door?

Hi Team, 

Hope you all are doing well 

I have a 2 question 

Can I paint a door without removing it from hinges ?

What is the best way to do that? 

I am new DIY'r 😋 so it will be great if we could speak in layman terms 

Thank you all in advance hoping to get this project started soon 

Regards 

Aj 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint a door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aj07. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a door.

You can paint a door without removing it from its hinges, although it may be a bit more challenging and time-consuming than painting it off the hinges. 

You'll begin by thoroughly cleaning the door with a damp cloth to remove dirt, dust, or grime. Next, use painter's tape to mask off any areas of the door that you don't want to paint, such as hinges or door handles. Lay a plastic drop sheet under the door to catch dust in the next step and paint later on. Sand the door lightly with fine-grit sandpaper to remove any glossiness from previous paint coats. Be careful not to sand too much, or you may damage the surface of the door.

Once you've prepared the door, apply a primer coat of paint to the door. This will help the topcoat of paint to adhere properly and will also improve the durability of the finish. Allow the primer coat to dry completely before proceeding to the next step. Apply a topcoat of paint to the door. Use a brush or roller to apply the paint, being careful not to create any drips or runs. If necessary, you can apply a second coat of paint once the first coat is dry. Allow the paint to dry completely before removing the painter's tape.

Here's a step-by-step guide that you'll find useful: How to paint a door. In the guide, they've removed the door, but it shows you some excellent techniques.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: paint a door

Thank you @MitchellMc  for the advice, exited to see the outcome soon 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects