Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a lime-washed wall?

Vicar
Finding My Feet

How to paint a lime-washed wall?

Hi, we have just had the interior stone wall of our Church cleaned (salt-suckered), cleared and re-plastered with lime render which allows it to breathe.  There was a history of moisture being drawn up into the wall which has been fixed.  We have now been advised we can re-paint the wall but to use a breathable paint - this part of the job we want to do ourselves as we are a poor country Church!  Can you advise which paint we should be looking at - and - can it be tinted to match the current colour above it?  Kind Regards, Fr. Neil

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a lime washed wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Vicar. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting a lime-rendered wall.

For traditional wall coatings like lime render, traditional paint is required. I'm not aware of any suitable breathable paints. 

To create a lime wash paint, you'd need to use: 1 part alum salt, 1 part natural pigments, 10 parts hydrated lime and 40 parts water. I'm not quite sure where you'd get alum salt or natural pigments, but they are needed as the binder and colour pigments.

Were you able to speak with the company that lime-plastered the wall and see if they had some suggestions on where you could obtain breathable paint?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Painting a lime washed wall

Thanks Mitchell,  I contact the plastering company again - I didn't do too well at chemistry at school so I foresee an explosion if I undertake any mixtures myself!  Appreciate the advice!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects