Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint blinds?

Ari
Having an Impact

How to paint blinds?

House.jpgHi All,

I've painted this house very very light grey walls and dark grey/charcoal trims. 

I was intending to replace the awnings/blinds but a) have discovered that they're actually very good quality and b) blinds are very expensive!

So I'm thinking to paint them a plain dark grey.  They are never going to be opened so don't need a lot of flexibility, but I also don't want the paint cracking and coming off too soon.   They're an acryclic material, like a high quality shadecloth.  Not canvas.

I've used fabric paints for small projects before but they'll be too expensive for this 28 sqm job (double if I do both sides, which I should).  I'd also like to use my lovely spray gun if I could.

So my question is - is there a standard 4L paint that would be remotely suitable for this job?  It's a cheap regional house so I'm not looking for a Rolls Royce job, more Ford Fiesta.

Thanks!  Ari

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint gurus - seeking advice on flexible paint

Hi @Ari,

I'm unaware of any paint designed for such a purpose. There are likely some paints that could work, but it would likely be a trial-and-error type situation. Perhaps you could add a layer of grey shadecloth over them to achieve your desired colour? The graphite, I believe, is a dark greyish colour.

Let me mention @Dave-1 and @MrSober to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to paint blinds?

Morning @Ari 

I like your thinking, and pretty much matches up to mine in not knowing a paint I could recomend right of the bat. Thining down a colour and doing spot spray tests is about all I would come up with (so its not too thick when you spray and then drys) and maybe a couple of coats?  Grey should be forgiving as in blending the vertical lines you have on the screens now.

Dave

MrSober
Building a Reputation

I wonder if that Plasti-dip spray would work at all? but I also think longevity is another factor as I don't think it would last long before fading etc in the elements. I have never actually used this stuff myself, but my understanding is it can be somewhat flexible but I also think the prep work to make it stick well enough would take some time.

Ari
Having an Impact

Hi @MrSober - thanks for the suggestion. I think plasti-dip woukd work well, like fabric paint. 

Cost is the problem for me with these spray can products though as I have such a large area to cover. 

At this stage I’m thinking I’ll leave the existing blinds up but hammer dark shade cloth in front of them. 

Will report back!

Ari 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects