Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-install a masonry screw that's come out of the wall?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

How to re-install a masonry screw that's come out of the wall?

Thanks in advance. We have a home lift for disabled access. The aluminium piece that covers the edge of the render within the lift well is screwed to the wall but one of the 3  screws has come out and will not hold trying to put it back in. The aluminium piece therefore sticks out a bit and the lift car floor is catching on it as it ascends making the ‘sticking out’ worse each time. I can’t easily remove the whole piece to insert a plug. It is not clear whether there is a plug in there now that has come loose. The screw that came out is gauge 8G and 30mm long.  Any replacement screw needs a fairly flat head as otherwise the screw itself will cause the same problem. I assume a replacement screw will need to be longer and possibly thicker gauge. Is there a suitable screw for masonry without a plug? I think the wall is brick but I’m not 100% sure. Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

e1.jpege2.jpege3.jpeg

Re: screw into masonry when plug not possible

I have a few over-sized hole repairs where a screw is held in by packed matches, including one helping to hold a hinge on a heavy door. 

It's a good rescue for those occasions where a hole has been drilled just a little off centre.

Worth a try - the most you'll lose is a few matches, but I think it would work ok in your case. No need to drill, just press the screw tip in firmly before driving it in, or use an awl to start a small hole first, if you have one.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects