Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rust on metal fly screen door?

chuiy
Just Starting Out

How to remove rust on metal fly screen door?

FD6F1ABF-819A-4521-8B6C-16AEABBADF73.jpeg

I stupidly used Dettol Wipes to clean my metal fly screen door and now there’s all these white marks on the door which can’t be removed. It appears to be an oxidised reaction. Anything that can fix this, I don’t want to have to replace the whole door =( Any assistance is appreciated!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rust on metal fly screen door

Hello @chuiy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your metal flyscreen door.

I understand your desire to keep your flyscreen clean. You're absolutely correct, there has been a chemical reaction between the Dettol you used and the metal flyscreen. Have you tried to use a Sabco Brass Bristle Brush on the screen? Another option I suggest is brushing the screen with some fine steel wool. However, if the oxidation has calcified or damaged the screen and made it brittle, I recommend replacing the screen.

Is it a safety screen door or just an ordinary flyscreen door? If it's just a flyscreen door, I suggest using Cyclone 910mm x 2.05m Aluminium Insect Screen. There's no need to replace the frame only the screen itself needs replacing. If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flyscreen repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove rust on metal fly screen door?

How is your screen door looking now @chuiy?

I was just surprised to read that some people clean their screen doors using WD-40. It would certainly help avoid rust. Anyone tried it?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects