Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renew external front door frame?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to renew external front door frame?

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0637.jpeg

Good evening Workshop Community Friends. I would love to get your friendly advice please. The house 1994. The front door frame is fading and weathered, quite badly in some areas. We don’t know what type of timber the door frame is sorry. It looks like the varnish is wearing off. 
I would like to have a go at trying to revive it. Would I sandpaper it first and then add a varnish for outdoors ? Willing to learn from everyone’s experiences.

Also , hubby found at the back of the shed, this can of varnish, he thinks it may have been left from the previous owners 20 years ago. I opened it up to have a look, doesn’t look good and dreadful smell.
I hope these photos will be helpful. 
Kind Regards Michelle 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renew external front door frame?

Up until, I assume, quite recently, going by @EricL's comment in this discussion, interior ceiling paint was actually the recommended product to use on exterior eave lining boards @mich1972. The reason is that any leakage through the roof would weep through the porous interior paint. As exterior paint is not porous, if a leak occurs it traps moisture behind it causing the paint to bubble.

I know many of our in-store Paint Experts still recommend interior ceiling paint, so I'd be inclined to go with what you have.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Geez I am learning all the time !!!!! Ok thank you I will use what I have 😃😃

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mich1972 

That Side window has come up really nicely as well as your eve, Here is a question...How far do you go painting the eve oncc you start? :smile: lol Do you do the whole house, a straight line or to a join?

If/when you do the front door my only sugegstions are

- Spray paint the edge first and then the metal screen

- And remember that the screen door timber trim needs to go back exactly where it was if you take it off. (Otherwise it may "clamp" when opening and closing)

It really feels and looks like a new house! Well done!

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the extra advice Dave. Just leaving it as it is for now. I would like to paint the rest of the eaves but need to finish inside the house first 😂 I will re-stain the door as that’s faded. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects