Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair concrete step?

Caffeine
Finding My Feet

How to repair concrete step?

Hi

I I have a chunk missing from a concrete step. It’s 300mm long, 60mm high and about 50mm deep. Fell out while some timber steps were being built. I’ve put a board under it and drilled some nails in to help hold and support the new patch, however I’m not sure which product to use to fill it?

advice much appreciated.

IMG_9374.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair concrete step?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Caffeine. We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Apologies for the slow reply. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to help provide some suggestions on how to repair that step as soon as they can.

Let me also call upon our ever-helpful members @Jewelleryrescue@jaiprak and @Dave-1 to see if they have any thoughts in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Caffeine 

What a pain 😕 fixable tho :smile: 

You may need to remove that top step while you repair it tho.

I would use Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement 

I used it on repairing my patio and patio posts and it really worked nicely.

Concrete patio repair 

I also use melamine for the formwork.

Things to note...

Concretemate firms up fast.

less water is better as it is incredibly runny/liquid

Seal the edges if possible. I used cardboard wedged between the uneven edge and the formwork.

Follow the instructions but use less water a little. 

The colour will be different and a lot smoother then what you patio is.

The other easy fix I can think of is is to either tile the steps (slippery) or a faceplate over the step height to cover the hole.

Dave

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from the knowledgeable @Dave-1, @Caffeine.

Is that the missing piece sitting on the porch? If it is, you could glue it back in position with Liquid Nails Landscape and then use the Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement to fill any cracks around to patch. You'd need to be careful that you don't apply so much adhesive that the piece sits proud of the front face.

I think it would be best if you filled the section entirely with the Earl's product.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Much thanks Dave

I was wandering around Bunnings last night trying to work out which product to use.

screwed a piece of timber underneath as part of the form work and I’ll use a laminated piece as suggested for the front.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

thanks.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Caffeine 

Id go short with the height so you can pour the mix in easier, then tap the formwork to get rid of bubbles. Id then come back later and do the last bit of height difference.
I didnt spot that bit that @MitchellMc saw :surprised: lol Id actually be tempted to see if it can be glued back as it will match closer to what you have.

Note that the concretemate is a super fine powder and reduces down when you mix in the water. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects