Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace sliding French doors?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to replace sliding French doors?

I am pondering my options with replacing these old windows and door for a set of sliding doors that open fully.

IMG20230603113736.jpg 

I assume this whole window and door assembly comes out in one unit.

Would there be a market for this old window?

Do I take the measurements of the frame hole and you can get a made to measure new sliding door system that slips into that cavity with packers and screws?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding French Doors

What's the current setup @Kvic? Is it a stationary panel on either side and a sliding door in the middle?  I think the best you'll get is some type of multi-fold door that could open fully to one side.

You mention a cavity. Were you thinking that there would be a solid cavity in one of the panel sections, and the other two panels would slide into it? If you have any example pictures of what you were looking for, I'm sure our members would be keen to see them.

There would potentially be a market for your old window, but I suspect that it would be those looking for a good deal on a second-hand sliding door.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Only the middle door slides as for the cavity that would have to be built in. My partner is the interested party but I not so sure at this time but I promised I would make an inquiry as I think a new set of blinds will do.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What's the home constructed from @Kvic? Would a cavity be able to be built into it? If it's brick, that would be an issue, but if it's a timber frame, it's a possibility. 

Mitchell

The materials I see the house sits on are Besser blocks and the outside walls are mainly rendered with cement and that is the surface around the rear windows. 

The rear wall inside or behind the windows is a area not really used and maybe a structure could be built.

While my partner is in love with he idea of French windows I like to spend time and money of more practical needs around the home.

I went to a friends home last night which is only 2 years old and I don't like the new designs of wide open window and doors and notice that I could see inside all the other properties, I think you call them town houses and they could see you.

While the owners didn't complain about no privacy they did mention the cost of keeping the area warm.

My partner wants more light as the place is dark from the trees that grow around the house that gives us privacy so I would prefer maybe skylights?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Skylights would certainly be an option @Kvic. They'd give you additional illumination indoors without opening your house up for everyone to see into. However, you could use frosted or tinted film for your windows, which allows light to enter while obscuring the view from the outside. Another alternative is installing window blinds, curtains, or shades that can be adjusted to control the level of privacy.

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell

4 Obsolete windows and the cause of the darkness.

Morning lightMorning light

I was thinking about these as replacement that can be fitted on the outside of the windows and have a 10m cable which would reach the current roof solar panels and I am wondering if I could plug them into those panels?

https://www.factoryoverstocks.com.au/kis3020ta-illume-400-x-1200-premium

IMG20230603130123.jpg

This panel would fit neatly in that cavity of the larger window.

I not sure how to gauge the light output of the panel and how much light it would brighten the room up.

IMG20230613111425[1].jpg

The neighbor as trees just as high on the fence line and would cause the same problems.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It looks like those trees could do with a bit of a trim @Kvic. You'll find one of these tree pruners will come in handy and give you the required height to access the branches. I think that would be the most effective way to allow light into the room through the windows.

Adding a solar-powered skylight to the window could be an option. The light output would really depend on the wattage of the unit. You could not directly plug into your house's solar panels, and you'd need an electrician to wire them into the system.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects