Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to retro-fit sarking in roof space?

arthur1
Just Starting Out

How to retro-fit sarking in roof space?

My question is can sarking be retro fitted internally from inside the roof space and if so what would be the right way?

ceiling.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Retro fitting sarking

Hi @arthur1,

Did you intend to try and install the sarking under the sheeting and above the timber as normal or below the timbers? You wouldn't be able to install the sarking as normal from inside the roof as the rows of sheet fixings would inhibit your ability to install it. There would be gaps everywhere which would defeat the purpose.

For what purpose did you want to install the sarking? Typically, sarking is used to inhibit storm-driven rain, leaks, condensation and heat transfer in your roof space and is installed directly under the roof sheeting. The water runs down the sarking and out of the roof. To protect the roof frame timbers, it needs to go under the sheeting and on top of the timbers. Retrofitting it internally from the inside would prove relatively ineffective at excluding moisture from your roof cavity. However, it could potentially assist with preventing heat transfer.

If you were to install the sarking under the roof timbers, you'd likely need to use something like Pryda Foil Fix to nail it in position and tape all joins with sarking tape. A concern I would have with installing the sarking under the roof timbers is that you'll then be trapping them in a high-humidity environment that could lead to early decay.

I'm keen to hear more about the issues you'd like to address and provide further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects