Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is Ozito 850W Router compatible with 6.4mm bits?

ethan18
Getting Established

Is Ozito 850W Router compatible with 6.4mm bits?

IMG_8302.png

IMG_8301.png

Ozito 850w router will it fit the ultra 6.4mm 15 piece router bit set be compatible with the ozito router without any problems 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Is Ozito 850W Router compatible with 6.4mm bits?

Hello @ethan18,

Many thanks for your question about the Ozito 850W Router. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back online this afternoon. 

Let me tag our helpful members @Dave-1 and @Seaton to see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ethan18 

I have just been having a look through both things and cant seem to find a mention of the shaft max size on teh 850W router. One of teh other people will probarly know more :smile:

Dave

ethan18
Getting Established

The ozito router fits a 1/4 size I just need to know if that set of bits will fit it 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ethan18 

I just googled 1/4 inch to mm and it came back to 6.35mm. Thats pretty close. I know that have a drill gauge at Bunnings stores, usually blue and located next to the drills :smile: Half a mm is half a mm is my only concern.

Dave

ethan18
Getting Established

So it is just going to be easier to go to Bunnings and ask them and see how well the bits Will fit ? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon (Just) :smile: @ethan18 

I think I am a sucker for having a wander around Bunnings, but yeah It could be a good idea. Mostly because the tool staff know their stuff, they also know what is compatible and what is on their shelves atm. For instance I didnt know that they had a drill gauge hanging there next to the drill section and so many times when I have been drilling holes just trying to figure out what hole size I should drill verse screw size it would have been handy. Needless to say after talking to one of the staff and joking about my skill at not seeing things I bought one :smile:

So easier yes, learing something new yes.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ethan18,

You'll find that most 1/4 inch routers have collets that are exactly 6.35mm, and you'll also find that "1/4 inch" bits are 6.4mm. The short answer is those bits are the correct size for the router and perfectly fine to use. Basically, there are 1/4 and 1/2-inch routers and bits and I wouldn't be concerned about the 0.05mm difference as that's likely just something lost in translation between imperial and metric measurements. However, I'm now interested to know why the bits are labelled as 6.4mm, so I'll update you once I speak to the manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi again @ethan18,

I've spoken to the manufacturer, and it appears to be a case that they're just rounding up to 6.4mm instead of listing the bits as 6.35mm since the difference is negligible. I've also double-checked with Ozito that the 6.4mm router bits do indeed fit the 6.35mm collet of their machine.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MitchellMc  Woohooo just learnt something new :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects