Workshop
Ask a question

How to build Lugna drawers with doors?

Lucy345
Just Starting Out

How to build Lugna drawers with doors?

I am currently putting together 5 Lugna units to become a lowline sideboard/TV unit combo.

I used the online planner and have already been frustrated to discover that the 768mm high units only fit 3 internal drawers (despite the online planner showing me 4 would fit).

Now that I'm about to mount the external doors, it seems that with 3 internal drawers, there's no space for the hinges to be mounted... Am I missing something? Why do they even sell internal drawers for this range? 

I really want this project to work, so hoping someone can tell me I've made an easy mistake and there's somehow a way to have 3 internal drawers AND external doors...

1000037066.jpg

1000037067.jpg

range of you can't put doors in front of them?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lugna internal drawers - am i missing something?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lucy345

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had difficulty with the assembly of your Lugna unit.

I've looked at your configuration in the planner. The drawers that interfere with the hinges turn red for me, and a popup warning of the collision is produced. It does suggest aligning them carefully in the planner to avoid conflict, but the only way I found to get around the hinges making contact is to have two drawers in the middle between the hinges. I suspect this is a case where the number of inner drawers is limited when fitting doors. The alternative would be not to have doors and to use full or scalloped drawers that don't require doors. I understand that this might not be the look you are going for in your living room. 

These inner drawers are commonly used on the wardrobe packages, and from what I can see, no doors are used over them.

I apologise, and I understand how frustrating this must be. I'd be happy to put you in contact with a manager at the store where you purchased the items to discuss what we might be able to do to help fix the situation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lucy345
Just Starting Out

Thanks Mitchell. I appreciate the prompt reply. I've come into my local store and am chatting to the Special Orders team about a resolution. I think I will have to switch them over for scalloped drawers which is not what I had planned, but will do the job.

Interestingly I just sat with the special orders person to use the planner together. She was also able to assemble a unit with 4 internal drawers and external doors without getting any sort of red alert or pop up to say that it wouldn't align with the hinges. So there's something funky going on with the planner there.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I just had another check. If you place the cabinet and add the drawers, as soon as you place the doors and click on them, they should go transparent and show the conflicting drawers as red @Lucy345. At the same time, the popup appears at the bottom. If you or our team are not getting that alert, then it's certainly something we'll pass on to the manufacturer so we can avoid this situation in the future.

I'm glad to hear that there might be another option despite not being what you initially planned or wanted.

Once again, I do apologise, as I know how frustrating it is to be excited about a new cabinet and not have it work out as planned.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects