Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Severe issue with carpets

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Severe issue with carpets

I moved into a rental property just over two weeks ago. The carpet was cleaned before I moved in. The house itself us a very old house, heritage listed. 

One if the main issues us extremely old carpet with lots of old stains and it us work throughout. I have not stayed even one night in my house since I moved in. Just stayed with a friend while I sorted the issue. Long story cut short, the owner doesn't want to do anything about it. So, it us left up to me. I do not know what the actual smell is. I know the carpet us old. It just smells too potent to be old carpet. 

I'm very sensitive and the smell makes me feel sick. I have organised another carpet cleaning company to do my carpets but they can't come till May 11th due to our area and surrounds recently being hit by cyclone Seroja. 

So, I'm going to have to move in. I'm scared that I'm going to get ill. I don't know what to do to help with the smell until the carpet cleaners come in May. I don't want to spend money in things that won't work. The carpet has no underlay. It has always been a commercial building but actually no one will buy it. It's got too many problems and owner is asking for more than its worth. The real estate doesn't give a dam. I just want to sort my carpets so I can actually live in my place. Doing a wet carpet clean I feel is not a solution that will work either. It's already been done. 

Can anyone help? Thanks. 

Re: Severe issue with carpets

Hey Wouldy, just read your message about landlords and agents etc etc. In a situation where I have had to escalate a matter associated with carpet gripper pins sticking out of a new thinner carpet recently installed. I’d just like to ask, you said justice wasn’t served. How far did it go as I have had to escalate this all to the tribunal in Sydney and believe I have a strong case and supported evidence.

Never had to experience this ever and intuition tells me the other parties have been down this road before as they seem fine with things escalating despite there being safety hazards everywhere 

Hope to hear back

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Severe issue with carpets

Hello @MironSher10

Let me tag @Wouldy to make them aware of your questions.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects