Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I be concerned about the floorboard gap?

Alexandra2127
Finding My Feet

Should I be concerned about the floorboard gap?

Hi team, I noticed the gaps between the floorboard are widened just now. Picture 1 is the gap. I can easily see the white/light color connection parts.Picture 2 is what the normal state of the floor. Because of two cats, I mop the floor every day. Could be the moisture or the hot weather? The gaps appear recently I think. 

Should I be concerned about the gaps? Fill the gaps or get some experts to evaluate first? 

Thank you.

Alex

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I be concerned about the floorboard gap?

Hello @Alexandra2127 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the gap in your floorboard.

Would you happen to know if you have real timber flooring or laminated click on flooring? If you have laminated flooring temperature changes will make the flooring move. It shrinks when it's cold and expands when it's hot. Sudden changes in temperature can affect the laminate flooring. The same thing happens to timber flooring, but gaps are minimal and only become significant when the flooring ages.

As soon as you let us know what kind of flooring you have, we'll be able to give you more recommendations.

If you have any other, questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for the reply. It is hardwood floorboard.

Alex

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alexandra2127 

Thank you for sharing that extra information about your flooring. Can you please provide one more piece of information, is your flooring nailed in or is it joined together with a clip-on system? If it is nailed in, I suggest having a good look at the surface of your flooring and see if any of the nails holding it in has resurfaced or has loosened its grip on the timber panel.

If it is a clip-on flooring system movement will occur between the floor panels due to changing temperatures. At this point in time if the gaps are not significant and you can't see through the gaps all the way to the bottom, there should be no need to worry. I recommend to just keep observing and if the gaps do begin to increase significantly, please make sure to update us.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects