Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which drill?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Which drill?

I looked far and wide for the best drill to buy but I'm stuck!  So reaching out to the DIY community is the logical step to take, right?!

While cordless products are handy, I'm definitely looking for a corded drill.  I'm in a rental property so doubt if I'll ever need to drill concrete.  So I think a good reversible driver drill for timber is for me!  I need durable, not too heavy, and the light (have lots of love for that addition!)!

I've done lots of research, but I'm more confused than ever!  I'm happy to pay for good lifetime endurance and high  quality.  So please share your thoughts! 

Thanks all!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which drill?

Hello @Tyro 

A brushless drill uses a brushless motor, which is more efficient and durable than traditional drills. It doesn't have brushes that wear out and instead uses magnets and sensors for better power conversion. This design offers advantages like higher efficiency, longer tool life, and improved power delivery. 

A traditional brushed drill uses brushes and a commutator to transfer electrical power, creating rotational motion. The brushes make contact with the commutator, causing friction and heat during operation. Unlike brushless drills, which use electronic circuitry, brushed drills rely on this mechanical interaction. 

However, brushed drills have drawbacks such as brush wear, energy loss, reduced efficiency, shorter battery life, and larger size. Despite these limitations, they are still popular for less demanding tasks and occasional use due to their affordability.

If you were to purchase a drill for D.I.Y projects, I recommend investing in a brushless motor set for the extra benefits. I currently own an Ozito PXC 18V 13mm Brushless Hammer Drill Kit. It's a good compact drill with a lot of power, I've used it to build all my D.I.Y projects.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Dave-1 !  I believe all advice is welcome, so thank you for contributing!  What I do with that advice  .... weeell ...!  🤭😎😂  And as this is an open forum, no apology needed! 😁

I was speaking about power tools in general, so your tips are very welcome, especially the definition of skinless!  I have a circular saw on the shopping list but @MitchellMc's advice to you about the bigger bladed ones being more versatile had me thinking.  Luckily I just checked and while I thought it was a 165mm it's actually 185mm! 🙄 Phew!  So all of my talk about indecisive buys was based on a poor memory for all thing hardware related!  My turn to apologise!

🤗 Tyro

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

As usual @EricL your advice is so good!  Your excellent explanation has provided much needed  enlightenment!  I was going with a Makita 710W 13mm Hammer drill mainly because of the reliability of the brand AND it's corded (which I prefer).  I can't find out if it's brushless though.  Would appreciate help with that.  @MitchellMc put me onto the Ozito 280W 10mm Drill Driver to use for the finer drilling (chair legs and small wooden items.  And @TedBear  recommended the XIU cordless screwdriver.  But as this drill has alreasy been mentioned as a favourite, and as the Financial Contoller currently leans towards penny saving, your Ozito drill wins!  👏👍🏻

And yes, I've learned how to tag now!

So thank you @EricL for an incredible knowledge bank and patience! 🙏🏻👏

Tyro 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects