Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which drill?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Which drill?

I looked far and wide for the best drill to buy but I'm stuck!  So reaching out to the DIY community is the logical step to take, right?!

While cordless products are handy, I'm definitely looking for a corded drill.  I'm in a rental property so doubt if I'll ever need to drill concrete.  So I think a good reversible driver drill for timber is for me!  I need durable, not too heavy, and the light (have lots of love for that addition!)!

I've done lots of research, but I'm more confused than ever!  I'm happy to pay for good lifetime endurance and high  quality.  So please share your thoughts! 

Thanks all!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Which drill?

@Tyro 

:smile: hahahaha I know that feeling! My next tool I want is a battery circular saw. Ozito it will be as I have the batteries already and they are $199 at bunnings atm. 

I see so many pieces of timber being thrown out onthe side of the road but can only fiit lengths of 2.7m max into the car!  

I do have a question for @MitchellMc and @EricL tho

Could you tell me the difference between Ozito PXC 18V 165mm Circular Saw - Skin Only  and Ozito PXC 18V 184mm 7¼" Brushless Circular Saw - Skin Only  other then the size of the blade. It says "brushelss" but im not sure how that enhances the cutting..

Thank you

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dave-1,

You get an extra 10mm of cutting depth on the 184mm saw, and it has more power and a longer runtime, being the brushless version. Brushless versions of tools typically can deliver more torque and consume less battery to do so. They also offer a smoother operation and have a longer lifespan as there are no consumable brushes.

The 165mm saw will do the job for you if you are looking for the most budget-friendly option, but the 185mm will do it better. If you plan to cut hardwood decking, I recommend the brushless version.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @MitchellMc 

:smile: Thanks for the answer. I was heading towards the larger saw to give me that extra cutting ability. I think it will make sense to go for the Brushless version. 

Thank you

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry @Dave-1,

I thought I'd add, an 184mm blade is far more common than a 165mm, so you'll find many more options for replacement, such as tooth number and quality.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MitchellMc 

:smile: No probs and yeah that is a valid point. Will be skipping the smaller blade version for sure.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Dave! @Dave-1 

"I see so many pieces of timber being thrown out on the side of the road but can only fit lengths of 2.7m max into the car!"

I like that thought!

I do the same, but generally look for steel. I've picked up a lot of steel pipe over the years as I own a clapped out Ford station wagon that can neatly fit 3m pieces, but I've always balked at carrying tools for the job, thinking if I'm ever pulled over by the police, it'd look bad seeing a chainsaw, angle grinder, powered hand saw and bolt cutters in the back. So I just suss out the 'road throw' and come back later with the required tool/s - or the trailer.

It's kinda funny, but I had two bicycles stolen from work over the last decade - both security chains were severed by bolt cutters - you could even see the tapered teeth marks on the links. But recently, watching a Netflix Mads Mikkelsen film, I saw two 'baddies' approach a bicycle to steal at night - not with bolt cutters - but battery powered angle grinders! Times have changed. 

MADS.PNG

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Noyade 

Lol to times changing, We never think of an easier solution until we need to. Maybe they didnt like lugging around a pair of bolt cutters... Or maybe they were just lazy thiefs lhave to laugh otherwise we would scream.

Dave

Hi again @MitchellMc and @Dave-1.  I thought I had decided on Which Drill.  Now I read your posts about blade size and 'brushless'!  So having returned to a state of confusion I need some additional advice please.  What is brushless?  What is a 'skin only' power tool?  

My power tool shopping  list has reached $650.  So what's another $50 if it means I get a more durable piece of equipment, right?! 🙄😂

Cheers!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Noyade 

Thanks for reminding me about that movie! I missed it when it was showing at the cinema!  I'll put it on the bucket list!

Bike thieves now carry around lighter fluid and a hammer or large spanner to break padlocks - quiet and quick. 🙄😪😤

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Tyro 

The questions I had were about a circular saw not a drill (sorry for jumping in on your question)

The "skin only" refers to an item without the battery. Its chaper that way if you havebatteries already.

Id go slow, buy the bits as you need them instead aof all at once. You need a drill, start with a battery drill. Once you use a tool for awhile it really helps you narrow what you want down the track. Your first car is a cheap car, then once you drive it you start looking into better ones but you learn as you go)

Sorry for jumping in on your question tho.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects