Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why does my tinted paint look a different colour?

cherylsmith83
Getting Established

Why does my tinted paint look a different colour?

I had a small can of dulux aqual animal tinted natural white and used all of it. I then had a 4 liter can of the same paint tinted the same natural white but on painting the same trim it appears alot whiter.....I've just painted a whole house worth of skirting board and installed it to realise it looks different. Is this common that the colour doesn't end up the same?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why does my tinted paint look a different colour?

Hi @cherylsmith83,

Could it look different because of different light in the room or different surroundings?

I know @MitchellMc likes to share the colour cube below to show how the surroundings can dramatically influence how we perceive colour. The brown square on the top is the same colour as the orange square on the side. He sampled the colours and placed them off the cube to illustrate that they are actually the same colour. The visual illusion is due to the lighting, background and surrounding colours. 

If you are confident the colour has been tinted incorrectly, I can ask @EricL to reach out via private message to get your contact details and the name of the store you purchased from so we can organise suitable next steps. 

Jason

ColourCube.png 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Why does my tinted paint look a different colour?

The skirtings are in the same room, same light. Wall colour is natural white too and the new paint doesn't match it as the old does. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paint tinting

Hello @cherylsmith83

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague. Another reason you would get a tone shift in your colour is the kind of finish stated on the can. If the original paint was in semi-gloss and you grabbed a full-gloss finish you will see a difference in the brightness of the paint. If you still have the original can of paint, I suggest checking the finish printed on both cans to make sure they are the same. 

Allow me to reach out to you through private messaging so that I can assist you further.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects