Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will installing exhaust vents cool the house?

awagner
Just Starting Out

Will installing exhaust vents cool the house?

Hi have a highest house,the downstairs is hot,will installing wall exhaust vents cool house down

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: venting

Hello @awagner

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about venting your house to cool it down.

There are a few things to consider when venting your house, but before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your house? This will give our members an idea of how your house is built. We can then make recommendations on how to properly ventilate your home.

Moving the hot air out of your home is always a plus. This means that you won't have to continuously use your air condition system and using a standard electric fan will suffice.

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Will installing exhaust vents cool the house?

Hi @awagner 

To  answer your  question exhaust fans will work pumping  heat out but air  must be pulled in from outside some where else in the house and that could be hot air from outside.  But if you clever you  can install air vent on the cool side of the house let cooler air come in.  Some  smart houses pull air from under the house or a basement where temperature is cooler and near constant. 

You could  use  Air con is best as it is a closed system in your house many  wall  units are very economical these days if used at peak hot time and not 24/7,  make sure  it uses inverter technology as this saves power use.

Also a dc powered ceiling fan can be told to spin  air up or downwards this left on all day will mix the air in the room and the room will feel cooler ie no hot roof air layer. They are very economical in power use especially on low speed.  I find hot air rises to the roof heating the roof materials and even after you  turn a fan on the  roof remains heated and quite warm for  a few hours the trick is to stop roof materials warming up.

I have bathrooms with tile  from floor to ceiling that acts as hot  or cold thermal storage in summer the cold tiles overnight stay cool until late in the day leaving the 2 bathroom doors open helps cool indoor air, in winter we close the doors.  I should  consider heating the tiles with sunlight some how then winter time open the house to warm air.  This works not to a huge degree but enough to take some heat out of the house as colder air rolls across floor then mixes  with upper air via fan.

Another way to start thinking about solving your  problem is find  ways to stop the heat going in that way you may not need  a lot of power to cool your home. 

Plant  bushes and or trees or pot plants  on wheels on the hot side of your house.  Things like a grape vine on a  pergola type structure works well as summer the leaves are very cool and  shady and winter   all the leafs fall off for winter sun warming of your house.  My  first  grape vine i grew on wires across my house  side and the windows that was a huge heat reduction.

Put  solar film on your windows and  doors.

Use blinds to  stop the heat.  I am looking at electric blinds I can automate for different season changes (Just my pipe  dream still)

Use a  pelmet over the window as this stops heat and cold on the outside of the blind from starting to form a convection current in your room.

Some security shutters are more insulated than others  by personally i think they  over rate at insulation still  only block 15%  in my opinion and window still can  be warm as they are made from aluminium and the sun heats  them and between the shutter and window convection and some secondary radient  heat still hits the windows and they feel warm mid summer.

Another couple of rooms I sewed on a silver lining like a flexible  silver polyester that worked well.  They use light weight mylar  in space craft hulls thats where i got that idea combine  with a  pelmet is 80% heat  block out.  Maybe  we could get NASA  showing us a couple projects  in here lol

Well down stairs the only other way is sun hitting you bricks and heating them by the end of a  hot day.  All you can do is shade  walls  I don't know if expanding foam would  work between  gyprock and  outer bricks  or double brick  I would hire a company to do that any how if such a thing exists.

Solving heat problems is tricky and may take a few steps I just wish they build all houses to new standards so we don't have to worry about any of  this.

Project time line could be

Air con or ceiling fan or both I use fans mostly and air-con on super hot nights only., greenery outside  and window foil (  the silver or gold reflecting type is  best think astronauts gold helmet visor it works  well.)

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @awagner,

I don't want to come across as some sort of an idiot, but do you have windows on the downstairs part of the house that you could open to let

natural air convection occur, through the whole downstairs floor?

Hi  @MikeTNZ 

Mike  what you say makes perfect sense  and is the  best solution that  air flow would  help greatly. :0)   

I cant speak  for @awagner  but sadly for the most part in Australia windows need to be  locked or locked partly open.  Or  in mid summer the air is hotter on the outside than inside in my region.

Quite often houses have older alarm systems and the air movement on cheap alarms can  set them off  with curtain movement too these days camera systems replace alarm systems and they are better depending on  brand. 

Hi @Jewelleryrescue,

Those are some very good points you've made there, I didn't really think my post through before submitting it.

I can totally agree with you about the outside temperature being higher than the inside temperature, I lived in Alice Springs for a couple of years as

an electrical technician in the mines, that heat is soul-destroying.

When I returned to New Zealand, I felt cold for the next 6 months.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @awagner

It's great that you've received fantastic recommendations from @Jewelleryrescue and @MikeTNZ. While we are waiting for your photos, I suggest having a look at the Deta 250mm Side Duct Exhaust Fan. This is a side ducted fan which means that you can install it right in the middle of your ceiling to maximize air removal. Combined with a Pacific Air 125mm PVC Air Grille Vent positioned on the shaded part of your house, you should get good air circulation.

Please let me know if you need hand posting your photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All good @MikeTNZ dont sweat the post  pardon my pun you spoke your mind and that what this forums for a collecting of  ideas.

Wow the mines at Alice Springs it cant  get much more hotter than that, I  dont know  how you survived ?.  I would have being sitting in front of air con a meter away. lol

Hi @Jewelleryrescue,

To be fair, coming from New Zealand it was terrible, but being so far underground during the day, it was quite cold.

During Summer, it would be something like 8 -11 degrees underground, as you came back up the worker lift at the end of your shift,

it would get warmer and warmer until you got to the top, bright sunlight and a temperature of anywhere from 38 to 48 degrees.

A very dry heat too, one thing I learned very early on was you drank water, don't go to the pub and drink the cold 5+ % beer.

Or you would wake up sometime later in a drunken stupor outside the pub.

Ha Ha Ha

HI @MikeTNZ 

I am strangely  surprised  I know undergound is cooler  but i had it in my mind a mine is hot and sweaty place  lol Maybe  they just working to  hard  or hung over from  the  pub you mentioned. What you dont  like  dogs licking your face to wake  you  up  outside lol

Yeah that 5% plus  beer will sneak up on you.  I made some 6% ginger beer once as  measued by a hydrometer  and a mate of mine likes  his rum at approx 32%  so  rum and regular ginger beer is a quite  tasty  drink  "called dark and stormy"   He took 4 bottles of mine home.

But he didnt factor in mixer ginger beer was  loaded too (I warned him ) they  found  him in his garden the next day crawling along fertilizing the  plants. (being sick) he was a mess and could not go to work. I  renamed the  drink  " Zombie rum" I gave the last  bottles to a visiting pain in #$%^$ inlaw apparently it cure him of drinking lol.  Not that the drink was bad I had some of the same batch  just beware  of the kick.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects