Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovations - How to remove tiles and deal with rising damp?

JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Bathroom renovations - How to remove tiles and deal with rising damp?

FF2FDD4B-48C8-4492-BFF0-9A6D2ECFD532.jpeg

 Kitchen wall 

Hi,

This is my first post here and my first attempt at some DIY renovating.  We realised the bathroom was leaking a while back with rising damp evident in the kitchen wall (two photos) so stopped using it and are only using the en-suite at the moment. I assumed a dodgy job had been done previously and the bathroom had not been waterproofed properly.  I’ve lifted the tiles from the shower recess and think the blue on the wall shows waterproofing but can’t see any on the floor. I was wondering what the tiles had been layed on ... I’ve put some pictures up. I assume I will need to get a professional in to deal with the rising damp and was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of the cost?  Also, is there a way to take the wall tiles off without taking g chunks of brick out with the glue blobs. 

Thanks .. in anticipation of help!

Katherine

4C4EA840-07E4-4453-AE35-53F16EBA0A6B.jpeg

 Kitchen wall

C34E19A0-3A89-41D1-BC08-9F31C3EE7F00.jpeg

 Shower recess floor

473388AE-15F5-40B4-B447-FF7F5D238767.jpeg

 what is the shower floor made of!!?

0F1D3669-D2B5-4D3D-B82F-685EC7C7B033.jpeg

 shower wall 

82B7A9F9-DA2C-489D-AA69-B6944BC8583C.jpeg

 Shower recess floor

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom Renovations

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JumBuck. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It might be a good place to start by having a professional come in and quote on the water-proofing job's cost. It appears that the shower base is cement and you'd likely need to repair the waterproofing now the tiles have been removed. I can't think of a way to remove the tiles without damaging the wall. You should be able to skim coat it afterwards with mortar or install a 3mm wallboard before re-tiling.

You might like to have a read through the recent topic Water-proofing failure... by @Adam_W. Adam illustrates the importance of getting your water-proofing right, and I would suggest that is where you should start.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Re: Bathroom Renovations

Thanks for the advice Mitchell! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects