Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget bathroom in Batlow

neeshah
Building a Reputation

Budget bathroom in Batlow

inbound3747729069508221916.jpg

We recently updated our entire bathroom using tiles from bunnings Wagga. Our house is a 90 year old double brick home which made things a little tricky. The tapware,  shower head, toilet and accessories are from the Mondella range at bunnings and the shower screen was also bought from Bunnings in Wagga Wagga. Although we hired a professional tiler to do the tiling and a plumber to move the plumbing, my clever partner completed everything else including building the nib walls and installing the toilet, shower head, vanity and shower screen. We managed to complete this reno on a budget of $10k 

inbound6261342626726037471.jpg

inbound5616384884559060612.jpg

inbound2830046977579434086.jpg

  

inbound1630899985212589866.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Budget Bathroom in Batlow

Hello @neeshah

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your bathroom renovation.

What a beautiful transformation from the old aqua-coloured tiles. The removal of the bath has certainly made the area look bigger and because you've installed a walk-in shower it's now made the room look truly massive. Often times a framed shower will always get in the way of the line of sight, but because you've only got a transparent glass panel in the room it simply lets light pass through it. 

Your choice of tiles has made the room look so much brighter and because you went for a white vanity it easily blends in with its surroundings.

Again, thank you for sharing such a beautiful bathroom renovation.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
neeshah
Building a Reputation

Re: Budget Bathroom in Batlow

Thank you so much! 

We are are so happy with the final result. I didn't mention in my blurb that our bathroom is in the centre of the house with no windows, only a sky light so creating a light and bright room was our key focus. 

dorabulldog
Having an Impact

Re: Budget bathroom in Batlow

Hi Neeshah
Great budget and bathroom! I'm looking to do something similar myself and am curious to know if the tiler removed all the existing tiles as well for you? Or did he place the new tiles on top of the existing (tile on tile) to keep the costs down?

Did your budget include his tiling and the plumber's work?
Thank you!!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dorabulldog

That is a good question, let me tag @neeshah to make them aware of your kind words and queries. From a budget point of view, leaving the floor and wall tiles would in theory save you some money, however, you'll not be able to tell in old tiles which one is about to give way. This is why the tiler would rather remove everything and start from scratch to make sure that the tiles are glued on using the tiler's personal method. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
neeshah
Building a Reputation

@dorabulldog 

Hi! 

Thank you so much!

20220529_144703.jpg

We removed the old tiles completely on our own, right down to the old floor boards underneath and only replaced the walls and a few water damaged floor boards where necessary. We wanted to know what we were playing with underneath the old tiles, we found a huge 1m×1m concrete block smack bang in the middle of the floor which made things interesting. The tiler laid a concrete screed to create the fall for the shower area and to level everything off.  We now have a small step in the door way of approx. 30mm high due to the screed and tile height, but it's hardly noticeable. Hope this helps :smile: 

Dear Neeshah, thank you - that was very helpful! We have been removing our own tiles too in the current place we are renovating so it's helpful to know how much you decided to tackle yourself before handing over to the plumber / tiler! Thank you again

Hi @neeshah  What a stunning bathroom! And you did it on an amazing budget. I’m always anxious about bathroom renovations because of the risk of water damage. Did your tiler waterproof before tiling? I notice waterproofing is done in some renovations, but not others. Did your cost involve paying the tradespeople too? Many thanks 😊 Deb. 

Thank you Deb. We are certainly pretty happy with the end result. 

In terms of budget,  it was tight but includes trades, we had to forgo some things like a new vanity (I bought the unit and basin on marketplace, it was practically brand new but half the price!) to allow for larger expenses ie; trades. however my partner is pretty handy and was able to do all the demo, simple plumbing, building the nib walls and the new door jam as we changed the door to open inwards rather than outwards. Our tiler waterproofed the entire area, 3 layers took over three days to dry! (We had snow for a week while he was here!!) He charged us just under $3k  he was here approx 8 days to complete the whole thing. He did wonderful job however I wish now we'd gone one tile height higher only for aesthetics,  we went to 2.4m but our ceilings

are 3m tall. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects