Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

sharnagillies
Finding My Feet

Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

Hi there

I'm looking to plan a bathroom/laundry combo and was wondering if/how i can place my washing machine on top of the 1 draw 600mm cabinets? 

Problem is my washing machine would need to be set back at least 65cm, and is exactly 60cm wide. 
I'm happy to use 2 of the cabinets for the width but would really like an option for setting the cabinets off the wall slightly so i can comfortably sit my washing machine on the cabinet.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Sharna

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised washing machine

Hi @sharnagillies,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is brilliant to have you with us.

Can you advise if this Kaboodle 600mm 1 Drawer Base Cabinet is the cabinet you are referring to?

If you were using 2 of theses cabinets side by side, you could attach a piece of melamine that is 1200x650mm that spans the full width of the two cabinets and gives that little bit of extra depth at the back. 

A piece of CUSTOMpine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm White Matt Carcass Particleboard MR can be cut to size in store and attached to the top of the two cabinets with Zenith 8G x 25mm Countersunk Gold Rib Head Chipboard Screws. You would then need to add a strip of CUSTOMpine 21mm x 10m White Melamine Edge Tape to the front edge of the board to blend it in with the rest of the cabinets.

There are certainly other things you can do, but this is a good way to give that extra bit of room for the washing machine that will not change things drastically.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Hi Jacob,

Yes this is the cabinet I am referring too.

I'm more so wondering how I would mount these to the wall if I'm adding space behind the cabinets?

I've attached a pictureScreenshot 2024-05-15 123030.png of what i want to achieve with the kaboodle cabinets but i would need ALL the cabinets to be set slightly forward off the wall to allow extra space for my washing machine. I want all the cabinet to line up, so how would you recommend I attach them to the wall to achieve this? 

Im also planning to cut down a 450mm base cabinet to place on top to use the extra space left over next to the washing machine.
Thanks

Sharna

Hi @sharnagillies,

You can first fix timber to the wall to take up the gap and then affix your cabinetry to that.

Can I ask if you've chosen this design for a specific reason? It seems you're sacrificing a significant amount of bench real estate for a slightly unconventional layout. You'll also need to go with a custom benchtop, as the standard 600mm is not wide enough. Most people would have the washing machine on the ground and allow it to stick out the front the extra bit. I've added a rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

We want it raised off the floor to make it easier to load and unload. 

This is at the top of our list of priorities for our new laundry.

That's totally understandable, @sharnagillies.

You could also do a bit of a step-out, enclose your washer with side panels, and have it on a full-height base cabinet. That would put the washer door around chest height.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can you install a washing machine above cabinetry?

Afernoon @sharnagillies 

If I am reading this right you want to mount your washing machine on top of a cabinet or two side by side?

If thats the case 😕 I would advise against it. Most front loaders have a concrete base to help with keeping the washing machine oin place while it spins. That plus the weight of the washing machine when full "screwed up face" is about the best way I can describe it. 

If you can show us a pic of the area you wantto revamp, possibly we could come up with an alternative. 

btw is your washing machine a top loader or front loader?

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon again @sharnagillies 

Whoops, just realised there were responses :surprised:

I like @MitchellMc's suggestion for sure, I do get the "easier" to use washing machine at a higher height tho dont know of anything that would support one. Even a custom frame I dont think would last the distance as the spin and force is fairly intense even if perfectly level. The only thing I can thnk that may help with bending over and pulling out wet clothes sideways is a toploader washing machine. That way the "bend" is more aligned with your back then "bend down"

Dave

This is great i love this!

What side panels would I use for this? The only ones i can see are 600mm deep?

Thanks

Sharna 

They are cut-to-measure parts and are called Multi-purpose panels tall @sharnagillies.

Here are the components I used. I encourage you to meet with a kitchen designer in-store to go over my design.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects