Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put VJ panels over exisiting tiles?

Al-renos
Just Starting Out

Can you put VJ panels over exisiting tiles?

Hello,

I want to install VJ panelling in my bathroom over existing wall tiles in the non-wet areas that go from the floor to the ceiling. Can I prime the existing tiles and then use some adhesive to stick the VJ panels to the tiles? Or is there a better way of achieving this?

Thanks

Alex

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you put VJ panels over exisiting tiles?

Hi @Al-renos 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about putting EasyVJ panels over tiles.

The good news is that the EasyVJ Panels can be attached to the surface of the tile on the condition that the tiles are still firmly attached to the wall. It will be necessary to rough up the surface of the tile. That means that the glazed surface of the tile must be removed. The reason for this is to give the adhesive a porous surface to anchor onto. If the surface is too slick or shiny the adhesive will fail and let go.

Please be aware that any failure in any of the tiles could result in buckling and it will reflect as a slight bump on the surface of the EasyVJ panel.

I suggest having a look at the Grinder's available at the store. Once you've scratched all the gloss surface, I suggest vacuuming the walls to remove any unwanted dirt and debris. I then recommend using Selleys 350g Heavy Duty Liquid Nails to stick the panel to the tiled wall. Please keep in mind that attaching the panel to the tiled wall will increase the thickness of the wall. This might have an impact on the skirting and cornice installation in the room.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Al-renos
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thank you for that! Thats very helpful and the good news is that the tiles are still attached to the wall and in good condition.

What type of saw attachment would you recommend for roughing up the surface of the tile? 

Thanks,

Alex

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Al-renos 

Depending on the size of the grinder that you have, I suggest having a look at the Flexovit 125 x 22.23mm Multi Material Reinforced Grinding Wheel. I recommend bring your grinder to the store to make sure you get the correct grinding disc size.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask while working on your renovation. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects